View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2011, 10:53 AM

I need help,brain fade ( why is positive reinforcement the best option)

hi guys, am in process of updating website and am putting up a club ethos page, explaining why i use positive reinforcement, why it works and lasts longer than punishment etc, but im really struggling, have been reading lots of new books lately and my brain just isnt gathering the correct info! so basically if anyone can give me some nice, concise easy to understand sentences on: why R+ works, whats in it for the dog, why punishment doesnt work and HOW R+ works.
ive got it all in my head but cant get it simple enough for joe blogs to understand!! so any help would be appreciated
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Why do you have to justify it? Surely saying you use methods that are humane, effective and kind is good enough?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Perhaps look on the APDT website to see if anything on there is worth referring to?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why do you have to justify it? Surely saying you use methods that are humane, effective and kind is good enough?
Understand what youre saying but i want to make it clear to people why R+ is a more effective way of training
great idea kylr thanks!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
IMO
Positive training increases your bond with your dog, it increases thier confidence and actually makes them smarter and happier
As the trainer it also makes YOU happier as you are looking for all the good things your dog does, you are understanding how your dog thinks and seeing how much they enjoy working with you

Punishment training supresses dogs behaviour and makes them less confident to try new things
As a trainer you are always looking for the bad in your dog, setting up situations where you can punish them. It is stressful for you because all you are looking for is your dog disobaying your commands
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
IMO
Positive training increases your bond with your dog, it increases thier confidence and actually makes them smarter and happier
As the trainer it also makes YOU happier as you are looking for all the good things your dog does, you are understanding how your dog thinks and seeing how much they enjoy working with you

Punishment training supresses dogs behaviour and makes them less confident to try new things
As a trainer you are always looking for the bad in your dog, setting up situations where you can punish them. It is stressful for you because all you are looking for is your dog disobaying your commands
Brilliant thanks!
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-03-2011, 03:47 PM
being new at dog training the first thing that sprang to mind when reading your post was the wonderful bond that develops between dog and trainer/owner.
I couldnt imagine a bond being developed like that if using adversaries.
Also the enjoyment for both, a sense of atchievement and heart bursting pride.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
positive methods are fine, and i do believe, all said ,here is true and i do agree.but....there is a time for a hard hand to deal with problems, rather than a soft aproch and i feel its about the situation and the dog envolved, my dogs are very confident and powerfull, there are some issues that needed a hard hand to deal with them, never abuse just a no b/s attatude, if mine are at 100% i have to be at 110%!.i do my best to correct a dog as naturally as possible , if i have to use mild force i will and do, there not shy of me there not scared ,but they do think twice before the attemp again.I have got a balance group/pack/social group,what ever you whant to call it.Pits and dogos do not do well with yelling at them, they shut down.i use touch to curb there bad behavior. i have to put them to the ground when thet are dis respecting me or others , i use a hand at the neck if needed , and i actually bit a pup on the snout who had aggressive issues, bad blood lines , the dog lived for 12 years ,never bit agian?Im not so sure what to call that ,but it worked.just an other angle. respectfully .phil
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
and i actually bit a pup on the snout who had aggressive issues,
How is that natural force? We are not dogs, and dogs know it. Not that a dog with manners would bite another dog on the snout to tell it off either - a well-mannered dog manages to "have its say" verbally and with physical body language.
There's absolutely no need to lay a hand on a dog and I have seen many "110%" dogs that prove this point.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
hi guys, am in process of updating website and am putting up a club ethos page, explaining why i use positive reinforcement, why it works and lasts longer than punishment etc, but im really struggling, have been reading lots of new books lately and my brain just isnt gathering the correct info! so basically if anyone can give me some nice, concise easy to understand sentences on: why R+ works, whats in it for the dog, why punishment doesnt work and HOW R+ works. ive got it all in my head but cant get it simple enough for joe blogs to understand!! so any help would be appreciated
  • Positive reinforcement works by allowing the dog to learn what is 'right' rather than constantly 'correcting' the dog and leaving them with no clue about what you actually want. This helps make the whole process easier for you as a person and the dog too.
  • positive reinforcement allows the dog to gain confidence as they learn - bit like a game of hot and cold, you are telling them evry time they get 'hotter' and not just 'cold, cold, cold' Get it?
  • Punishing the dog for the wrong thing isnt actually telling the dog what you want from them, this is where reward based training helps dogs to understand quicker and more safely what it is thats expected of them, rewarding the dog the moment they get it right helps them to retain that information, making their training more reliable in the longer term

No idea if thats any good, but written by Joe Bloggs!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >