Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pino
New Member!
Male 

24-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Dog suddenly scared

Hello everyone.

Is my first day on this forum and my first post.
I like this forum very much as I like dogs.

Here is our problem:
My dog is some 10 years old, male, mixed breed long haired terrier like and was always active/vivacious and friendly. Since 4 days ago he don't want to leave the house, he is scared and is shaking if I bring him outside the house. When in house he mostly sleep. He is eating normally and doing his "duty" when outside.. but then he is walking 50 cm from me and tend to return home.
Last days was mating time for him and in place where we leave he is able to leave the garden and we are trying for years to stop him doing that but unsuccessfully.
I made little investigations and so far seems he was scared by other (female) dog owner.. while mating. I don't know what she did to him and thats not 100% sure but I'd say thats what happened.
I need some guidelines what to do now. Should I leave him sleeping for few days (in 4 days situation changed to better but very very slightly) or should I take him out even if he don't want to.. to teach him again not to be scared.. When outside he sometimes get so scared that he scream.
Thanks for any kind of help.
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2010, 03:21 PM
If he was pulled apart from a bitch while mating, trauma can occur to the penis which will need a vet's attention. My advice would be to get him straight to the vet for a checkover and take it from there.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I would also strongly advise that you go to a vet immediately. It sounds like your normally happy & active dog has suffered a huge trauma to change his behaviour so quickly & so dramatically. It could well be that he was hurt when pulled apart during mating, but if you don't know what the other owner did to him, it could be that he has been hurt or hit or kicked etc & needs veterinary treatment.

Even if he is physically unhurt, the mental & emotional trauma of what has happened has hit him very hard. You need to go very slowly with him, whatever you do. I would suggest that if the vet cannot find anything physically wrong, then you should ask for a referral to a qualified canine behaviourist.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 11:22 AM
It sounds to me like he`s in pain. I`d get him to a vet.