Our sister sites
Our sister sites
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2009, 09:55 PM

Collie panting and cowering

Hi all,
The collie we have just taken in seems to pant a lot, is this usual for this breed.
Also we took him for a walk today and although he seems to get on with us all and has settled he seems to flinch when I raise my non-lead holding hand to either itch/wipe my face or point something out whilst walking him, does this suggest that he has been abused in some way? and how do I get him over this?
Many thanks,
James.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 10:05 PM
It may suggest abuse, but collies do tend to be naturally cowering type dogs anyway. Mind you, with a collie, you would probably only need to raise your hand once to it and it would remember that forever.

Just remain calm around him - don't 'tippy-toe' and don't make a fuss of his scared reactions, just act normally.

I've had two rescues that I think were abused before we got them. The most recent, who was about 3 when we got her (15 months ago) still flinches at certain things, but she is a different dog from when we first got her.

I think you said he is 8 months old? If so, he is likely to improve more quickly than an older dog.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I believe panting can be a sign of anxiety which should stop once he feels 'at home'.

One of our rescued labs (sadly no longer with us) used to flinch when we raised our hand to point or pick something up etc. Sadly, he had been abused. If it's any help we just carried on as normal and acted calm, kind and friendly around him and it eventually stopped.

Good luck, I am sure he will make a lovely companion.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I agree the panting is likely to be anxiety. Have you set somewhere 'safe' for him to go in the house - does he have a crate or bed in a quiet corner of the room - if not, that might be a good idea.

Does he seem familiar with being in a house? Just wondered with the panting could also be heat related - if he has been used to living outside, he may find a house quite warm....again he will get used to it if that is the case.
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Does he seem familiar with being in a house? Just wondered with the panting could also be heat related - if he has been used to living outside, he may find a house quite warm....again he will get used to it if that is the case.
As far as I know he was kept in a porch and only allowed into a small garden. I dont think he was taken for walks because he doesnt seem to be lead trained, although he loved the extending lead and running with me around the local park.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
As far as I know he was kept in a porch and only allowed into a small garden. I dont think he was taken for walks because he doesnt seem to be lead trained, although he loved the extending lead and running with me around the local park.
Aww, bless, he has so much better a life to look forward to now. But it will all be a lot for him to take in at first.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Nothing to add to the good advice already given - just wanted to say that this poor lad now seems to have landed a nice new LOVING home. Patience, patience, patience

Bless you for rescuing x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Awwwww bless. Justr give him love, patience, kindness and understanding and he will be just fine.
Tango (our 5 year old rescue) panted constantly when we first met her...and reverted to it last week when she was hospitalised at the vets, she also clung to us like glue. Her panting leaves puddles. It is pure anxiety. With time though it eased and once she was home from the vets last week and upside down on the sofa, all panting and clinginess subsided. I feel so sad for them when they are like that.

Your boy is lucky...he has a much better future ahead. Do you have any pics?
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I havent got any pics yet, ill hopefully take some today or tomorrow. Ive got a pic that was sent to me from the previous owner which ill post with my pics (when I learn how to post pics lol)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Hi all,
The collie we have just taken in seems to pant a lot, is this usual for this breed.
Also we took him for a walk today and although he seems to get on with us all and has settled he seems to flinch when I raise my non-lead holding hand to either itch/wipe my face or point something out whilst walking him, does this suggest that he has been abused in some way? and how do I get him over this?
Many thanks,
James.
Border Collies are not a breed that should cower, mine don't & it is a sign of abuse. The panting is a sign of stress, so if he is panting whilst he is being walked then he is stressed.

The way to show him that you are not going to hurt him is to ignore the cowering completely & reinforce & develop his trust in you by doing some gentle T Touch Massage. If you go to the site & click on the companion animal link & from their to the dog section. There is a lot of information on there & it also gives advice about getting help. The practitioners don't charge an arm & a leg for a home visit to show you how to help your dog.

Clicker training with an I-click clicker will help so you can train him hands off on a reward basis
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >