Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 05:55 PM
hiya
i did it with the post lady who bruno lunged at one day 0- ( we decided it was the bag he didnt like at all - as he tried to grab it off her shoulder)

anyway from then on I asked her to give him a treat when she saw him so much so that she kindly started bringing her own treats for him and after a few weeks he wasnt bothered by her (bag)at all....

she sadly isnt our postie anymore and we have a horrible man who never even smiles but he has never bothered with him or his bag so it definetly worked.

He will not take any other treat from strangers though/
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I think that whether the dog starts to mug people for treats or start to ignore you depends very much on the dog. I have no doubt that this method can work in making intolerant dogs more stranger-friendly, BUT, there is a dog at the training club I go to which was intolerant/scared, so this method was used, and I have to say he now runs from person to person looking for treats . . . ignoring his owners calls to come back for quite some time. Only when he is sure that there are no treats to be had does he come back.

So it can, with certain dogs, have the effect you are concerned about, although from the other posts on here it sounds like only a minority of dogs will become like this.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:17 PM
the trouble about doing this in a training club though, is everyone is likely to have treats.
When you as an owner on a walk are the only person to have the bag of treats, I would think the "training club scenario" dog would be unlikely to happen.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I think it depends on the breed / character too. I`ve got 2 one-person breeds (GSD/GSP) so they`re both clingy/
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2