View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Hun I think your wise to sit and think on it for awhile.

Im not at all sure about the one going to a farm after being used to being in house. Maybe if you knew or got to know of a small holding where he would be happy but still a pet....depending of course how he is round chickens, ducks pigs etc.,

I'd think it over carefully first and if you do have to come to this decision there is Collies In Need on fB they will help but you may have a wait till they find the right placement

Wishing you all the best xxxxx
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 06:52 AM
I agree, from pet to farm is unlikely to work now, it would be lovely to know they had some space to run around though.

Rehoming should definitely be the last resort, I think taking the steps to try and start the ball rolling has made me realise that.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by LittleMonkies View Post
I agree, from pet to farm is unlikely to work now, it would be lovely to know they had some space to run around though.

Rehoming should definitely be the last resort, I think taking the steps to try and start the ball rolling has made me realise that.
Well done. I think that even if you think you are OK about the split you will still be very bruised and upset.

Re not sharing a bed----it was the best bit of my split!

I did injury time for a couple of years and it is soul destroying. Clean break has to be better.

rune
Border Collies
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
The dog your trainer thinks could be a sheepdog, has he ever been on sheep?

I know how difficult a break up can be. I hope all goes well for you
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Neither dog has been near sheep, it's just something the trainer said when she saw how he moved and focused. It's not something I know anything about, just a way she described his character.
A deer ran in front of Max when he was off lead a couple of weeks ago and he didn't even notice!
Things are still amicable at home but although I love this extra time with the dogs I still can't see a way that i can keep them and give them the life that they need.
They are so loving and I adore them, but love isn't going to be enough for 2 young collies for the rest of their lives is it?
The outcome needs to be the right one for all of us and I'm worried that if I keep them it will be for my benefit and not theirs, but right now I have no idea how it's physically possible to keep them without me & Adam staying under the same roof and I can't see how that can happen if we are to stand any chance of moving on with our own lives.

Sorry, I probably should have written this in a different section.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Looks like you have given it alot of thought and done alot of soulsearching.

I really hope if your decision is made you find a great home for them and one where you can put your mind at rest.

Best wishes xxxxxxxxxxx
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 12:24 AM
would it be possible to have a family member exercise them or use a dog walking service while you are at work, then you would know that they're being exercised and fed etc when you cant be there.

dave loves his dog walker and looks for her on the days off that i have cheeky boy!
hope all works out for you
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 02:24 PM
So sorry you are going through this xxx huge hugs xxx

I'm also a part of the BC rescue group on fb. It's very good and active, they seem to get lots of dogs and people through.

I'm with a lot of other people, and as you have said yourself, don't rush into it. Dogs are so blumin adaptable, and I'm sure both yours would do anything they could and adjust as much as they needed to as long as they are with the mum they love so much, and each other.

Unfortunately, even in breed specific rescues it's very hard rehoming 2 dogs together, I've seen many a pair spilt

Good luck xxxx
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Thank you again for your replies.

Adam & I had a very long night of talking about this and it would seem that we've both decided tat the dogs are themost important things to take care of and if for now that means us living together to make sure they're OK then that's what we'll do.
I only see him for an hour or so in the evenings and don't feel that we have to spend all weekend together so we're not trapped with each other.

In the last week or so it feels like he's finally shifted his way of thinking and he's stopped acting as though we're a couple. It's made a huge difference and I think it might be OK.

We've said we should both stop looking for ways to move on for now and as and when problems arise we'll deal with them. Doing it this way will hopefully allow us the maximum time to have a way to keep the dogs when the day eventually comes that we need to live apart.

We've always been good at talking things through so hopefullyw e can stay grown up about it for the sake of the dogs if nothing else.

If the day comes when we have to rehom them at least we have done everything possible to avoid it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:53 AM
What an awful situation to be in I really feel for you. If there is a way you can envisage keeping your dogs for life then definitely go for it. Dogs are adaptable, and as long as they get plenty of mental and physical stimulation, they will be fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what problems do you think you will encounter if you do have to go your separate ways? Would you take a dog each, or would both dogs go with you etc? Do you think the problem could be finding somewhere to live that would take two dogs, or is it your work commitments? ie. how much change would actually occur in the dogs lives if you were to sell your house and move on?

Regarding a pet pup becoming a sheepdog. It is impossible to tell how your youngster would be as a working dog until he was tested on sheep. Are they working bred dogs? If you were to go down this route, I would make sure that the working home was one where he was also included as part of the family.

Also, if you do think there is a good chance that you will have to rehome a little down the line, then I would get in touch with any of the various collie rescues that there are in the UK. Your dogs would have a much better chance of finding their new home when they are still young.

I do hope you manage to work something out where you can keep them both, but if not, then please go through a reputable collie rescue, who will find the right homes for your boys and will also offer support and back up to any new owners.

Best of luck with it all.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >