Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2009, 06:53 PM

All done in the worst possible taste

Discovery channel screened an hours program last night about the Lockerby outrage 20 years ago.

After the perpetrator was freed on Thursday, and knowing that the relatives are angry about this they still screened the programme.

The film was very graphic with scenes of the aircraft breaking up and large chunks of it smashing into the houses on the ground, I think they should've postponed the program until things had settled down.

The Scottish justice minister should think shame of himself too, he said that Magrahi was released so he could spend time with his family, all the passengers on that plane were wanting to spend time with their families at Christmas and never made it !

As I've said before, the Scottish parliament could'nt run a public toilet let alone a country.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I didn't see it.

But I feel for those families who lost loved one as for the release of that man and spending time with his family, I only thought yesterday when i watched some of it on the news...............it's a pity HE didn't think about the families of those that he killed, who unlike him....they will never be able to say goodbye to
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2009, 09:07 PM
except there wasnt at the time, and isnt still, much in the way of evidence stating that magrahi or libya were responsible.

all the evidence points to iran and the PFLP-GC
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2009, 09:16 PM
That programme has been shown before, many times. I wonder if the timing was deliberate or coincidental.

Whether or not Al Megrahi is guilty or innocent, he was imprisoned as the only perpetrator captured for all that happened that night. His release is a political move and a disgraceful one at that.

The Scottish government is now being ridiculed worldwide for this inappropriate decision.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post

Whether or not Al Megrahi is guilty or innocent, he was imprisoned as the only perpetrator captured for all that happened that night. His release is a political move and a disgraceful one at that.
i dont get your logic.

do you mean if he is innocent, but imprisoned, he shouldnt be released, because he got a sentence?

can i ask, does that mean you feel that all the prisoners that have been released, due to miscarriages of justice, shouldnt have been released?

for example, should the Guildford 4, later found innocent of the IRA bomb they were imprisoned for, should have stayed in prison because they were the only ones imprisoned for it at the time?

genuine question
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i dont get your logic.

do you mean if he is innocent, but imprisoned, he shouldnt be released, because he got a sentence?

can i ask, does that mean you feel that all the prisoners that have been released, due to miscarriages of justice, shouldnt have been released?

for example, should the Guildford 4, later found innocent of the IRA bomb they were imprisoned for, should have stayed in prison because they were the only ones imprisoned for it at the time?

genuine question
Because he withdrew his appeal against his sentence so he could be freed, he's guilty legally, the case is now closed so no one will ever know who the guilty parties were, it's a fact there were more people than him in the conspiracy.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Because he withdrew his appeal against his sentence so he could be freed, he's guilty legally, the case is now closed so no one will ever know who the guilty parties were, it's a fact there were more people than him in the conspiracy.
he had to withdraw his appeal, otherwise he wouldnt have got his compassionate release.

the Guildford 4 were guilty legally, as were other innocent people later freed.

if you didnt commit a crime in the first place, you shouldnt be in prison, so its pretty much immaterial the process by which you are released.
but you are right, he should have got his compassionate release and still be able to make his appeal, so the crime can actually be investigated correctly and the real culprits then charged.

there were indeed a few people involved in the conspiracy - but libya never performed the act, that was iran and the PRLP-GC (Ahmed Jibril).
This was even established by the investigation after the bombing, by suddenly dropped in favour of blaming Libya.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2009, 11:43 AM
This has turned into a major debate in the media, as one person said, the decision to release Magrahi should've been made by a panel of high court judges not a politician.

The FBI chief and the American president are very angry, and quite rightly so.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2009, 12:22 PM
cant say im too fussed if american politicians are angry

they arent in the position to take the moral high ground when you list the history of their own terrorist attacks and war crimes
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I think the scottish minister made the right decision, he didn't give in to american pressure and they certainly have no leg to stand on when it comes to habouring terrorists.

As I understand it they didn't want the appeal to go ahead, so to get his freedom he had to drop the appeal as it would perhaps have opened a can of worms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >