View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Zero, the puppies will be either carriers or clears.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Zero, the puppies will be either carriers or clears.
Becky
And this is exceptable!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:57 AM
So he has produced AFFECTED puppies, doesnt really matter whether its one or 101 does it? Certainly not for the Dog!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 10:15 AM
My understanding of the situation Dawn is that, yes that may have been the case, but at the time when only an eye exam was available and dogs would only be classed as affected or unaffected so whilst regrettable would have been the best any breeder could have done prior to the advent of DNA tests.
You could say the same for every breeder in the country where the eye disease for their breed does not have a DNA test. You can only do the best with the tools you have and as long as they are doing the best then you can't really complain.
Prior to the DNA testing of poodles what you would consider reputable breeders produced affected offspring despite eye testing as many eye diseases don't become obvious until much later in life so a dog could be classed as unaffected for 10 years and therefore used for breeding then suddenly the next eye exam discover the disease!
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I agree with what you are saying, GPRA in Labs is another example of dogs testing clear up untill 5yrs old sometimes, then testing "affected" these DNA tests are an absolute boon in combatting these diseases.
Dawn.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 12:07 PM
and that is why my belief is the KC should not accept registration of any puppies from non tested parents where there is a DNA test available (at the very least).
Sorry off topic there!
Becky
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Can I ask, a question, and this has nothing to do with MR , just a general observation. so dont shoot me down

If a dog is a CEA carrier , and put to a clear bitch , what are the chances of the off springs being affected?

Would`nt it be better not to use a carrier at all for breeding.

Zero chance!!! Some will be clears & some will be carriers. Obvisley its better to do Clears to clears, I suspect in a few years then this will be the case.
Quincy is a Fabulous dog,hes got so many good attributes that people will want in their puppies.

Id certainley have a puppy from quincy, if the bitch was DNA tested Clear.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So he has produced AFFECTED puppies, doesnt really matter whether its one or 101 does it? Certainly not for the Dog!
i guess that was before the DNA test & the bitch wasnt clear,most likely a carrier also.

Obvisley now Mary has ther DNA knowledge that would & COULD never happen again

DNA has taken breeding to a new level in the collie breeds,esp BC owners who have really embraced it
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And this is exceptable!
depends on your point of view? It is acceptable in order to prevent a line from vanishing altogether as statistically only 50% of pups in a litter will be carriers the rest will be clear so it would then be possible to continue a line from the clear dogs thus removing the disease. A carrier dog will never present the disease itself. There are worse things that a BC could carry than CEA and if the only risk you are taking with a pup is that it may be a CEA carrier then that is a minor thing compared to what else it could have. Personally I would not breed from a carrier as I know I could get a pup from the lines I like from parents that have tested clear so it would not be necessary. I wouldn't have a pup from quincy because I don't particularly like those lines not because he is a carrier for CEA, that does not meant that others shouldn't as everybody as their own criteria. What is important is that people actually have their dogs tested in the first place so that they and any potential puppy owner know what the situation is before they decide to have a pup.

My red merle Sol came from a carrier bitch but his sire was DNA tested normal so none of the pups were affected. I knew this before I booked him and I still had him as he was the right pup for me and I knew that he would never have a problem.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree with what you are saying, GPRA in Labs is another example of dogs testing clear up untill 5yrs old sometimes, then testing "affected" these DNA tests are an absolute boon in combatting these diseases.
Dawn.

Is that your way of saying, "fair enough, I now understand and accept that the test was not available at the time he was first at stud and that yes I can now see that Mary did have his eyes checked in the only available mode at that time which showed him as Unaffected and when the DNA test became available obviously she had it done which is how she now knows he is a carrier"

Page 14 of 24 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »