Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 06:41 PM

NTL and Sky service providers, tv and broadband

Ever since we have had NTL one channel or another doesn't work and so we contact them they sort it out and two days later we are back to square one. Apart from the fact that between changing channels you can miss half your programme cause its so slow. I spent most of today on the phone to them to sort it out and they said they would but ended up removing all of my channels Now we are waiting for an engineer to come out on friday so we can get them back My contract runs out in nov and so I will definitely be going back to sky.

So questions are:
Does anyone have problems like these with NTL? and
Does anyone have sky broadband if so what is it like?

Thanks in advance,
Donna xxx
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I use ntl for tv,phone,broadband and i havent got any problems! The only problem i had was when it switched to digital years back and i had a dodgy set top box which they replaced.

I think all them have problems to a certain degree cause my sis recently changed to Sky cause she was having multiple problems with ntl,but then again-i know people who have problems with Sky and moved to cable.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2006, 06:54 PM
No problems here with NTL Last year we had a problem with the set top box and the engineer was out the same day and replaced it there and then. The broadband has only gone down once in over 2 years and then again not for long. We seem to get a good service from them in Glasgow
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I was with Sky in my old house. Changed to NTL when we moved here and didn't want an ugly satellite dish on the house (as we'd just spent a fortune on internal & external renovation).

Stuck with NTL for two, long, painful years...putting up with losing channels all over the place, interactive service that worked only sporadically, on screen display permanently blank etc.... Oh, and don't get me started with how long it takes to actually speak to a human in the customer services department...

Switched back to Sky a year ago (figured I could live with the ugly dish after all) and absolutley luuuurve my Sky+!! Haven't had any problems with it at all (touching wood now!!)
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
I was with Sky in my old house. Changed to NTL when we moved here and didn't want an ugly satellite dish on the house (as we'd just spent a fortune on internal & external renovation).

Stuck with NTL for two, long, painful years...putting up with losing channels all over the place, interactive service that worked only sporadically, on screen display permanently blank etc.... Oh, and don't get me started with how long it takes to actually speak to a human in the customer services department...

Switched back to Sky a year ago (figured I could live with the ugly dish after all) and absolutley luuuurve my Sky+!! Haven't had any problems with it at all (touching wood now!!)
Mirroring my life with NTL, I loved my sky+ and the only reason we came to NTL was because of the broadband package, after a month we were regretting the move. If you call Sky and say that you wanna cancel because NTL is cheaper they will ask how much NTL are offering and sky will match it, I lied and said £30 and they were more than prepared to match it, just a little tip
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 08:33 PM
tell NTL that you are sick and tired of the grief and hassle and are going to cancel your contract with them, you should get an offer of a reduced price or a few months free my mum used to work for them (she used to do that for people)
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Have been a customer of Cable/Nynex for years. 1st the tv and phone and then internet and then broadband.

Have been in this house for 10 years, so all the wiring is that old. I had numerous problems, mainly pc and tv sometimes. We have probably over the last fews years seen every engineer they employ!!!

Last year I was totally fed up and asked them to terminate my contract, then phoned BT and arranged installation. Within 2 days NTL were on the phone reducing my package to almost half the original cost. The engineer that called to apparently rectify the problem told me that the box outside had been wired incorrectly!!!

Ok again for a few months then the problems returned, and i got fobbed off with every excuse.

Eventually a guy called tested the box outside and said the signal was strong, but when it reached the tv it had weakened considerably ???? So, it was agreed that we would have it re-wired, and they wanted to route the wiring around the town - so to speak!!!!!!!! I said NO, so they left wiring and oh routed it ( out of eye sight ) We then had to call them back to re-connect- that took 2 weeks!!!

Broadband now seems ok ( fingers crossed ) the tv "filmflex channel" which previously had 12 or so breaks in transmission seems ok now too.

But... my daughter said compared to Sky changing channels is still so slow.

So the morale of the story is "we will eventually swap over" but at the moment we have the whole lot for £30.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 09:37 PM
have always had sky since the day it was launched
never had a problem at all
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2006, 05:28 AM
The sky braodband service is only available in certain areas so you'll have to check with them on availability. The cost is cheaper than any other provider on the market at the moment.
The BB service is throught BT phones lines so you will only get a limited speed depnding how far you are away from the exchange you wouldn't get a faster connection speed with any other provider through BT lines it is what it is no one can make it go faster even if BT was your isp.

I know this because we switched from wanadoo to BT the speed stayed the same and i will be changing again just for the cost to sky when my year is up with BT.

The sky tv not had a problem with it at all very could service lose signal in bad weather but thats only for a while untill the boost the downstream to compensat for it.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba
So questions are:
Does anyone have problems like these with NTL? and
Does anyone have sky broadband if so what is it like?
Absolutely yes! You're right, the 'Guide' can be so damned slow. I'm the type that lets little things really wind me up at times, especially when the solution is beyond my control, and this winds me up almost daily. Lately it seems to have become much slower. But...

Worse than that.... I sleep only four hours a day, always have done, and, I suspect, always will. My partner however, sleeps like most others, around eight hours a day. Now the fun starts. You're watching a program at 02:00 in the morning at a relatively low volume so as not to wake people. You decide to look at the guide and "BOOM" the volume seems to shoot up and you're instantly transported to the "Film Flex" preview in the preview window, so you can't continue to watch what you were watching as you browse the guide, and you have to keep dashing for the volume controls on the remote!

I think it's going to be swapped for SKY before too long!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >