Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Upsetting!

To some of you who don't know, my cousin died of cancer the other week.
He had a brain tumour. The last few weeks of his life he had gone totally deaf & nearly blind.
He lived in America with his wife & 3 yr old little boy. My aunty & uncle went over to stay with them until he died. He was in a hospice the last few days of his life.
My aunty & uncle have just come back from America.
I went up my mum & dads today & my mum told me the most upsetting but comforting story i have ever heard.
While they were sitting around Stevens bed, he started to really stretch his arm out. then put it down....then he would really stretch his arm out again. His eyes were wide open & staring ( his eyes rolled around his head due to his blindness ) but they would just stare. He kept stretching his arm out then he said...i can't go down that path i'll try this one....then he'd go quiet ( i'm crying as i am writing this now ) then he said again i can't go down that path either....i'll try this one....then he would stretch his arm out again. Then he said i can see the light...then he said Mavis. Mavis i can see you!

Mavis is my auntys sister who died a few years ago. Steven thought alot of my aunty Mavis. She had a dreadful life with my uncle Ron god bless her!!!!

This story shocked me. I find it comforting too. But very upsetting as Steven really suffered in his last few weeks.

I am running the Race For Life at Coventry memorial park on the 11th June. I will be running it in the memory of my cousin Steven.

There is no word of a lie in this story!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I am very sorry for your loss Jules. That's an amazing story though, and gives hope, I think. I hope you are okay.
xxx
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 08:02 PM
My goodness what a story, he obviously knew it was his time and was making sure he chose the right path where he would be happiest. Goes to show doesn't it that there is more here than we know.

Thankyou for sharing such a thought provoking and private moment.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I wanted to share it with you just incase any of you had any loved ones out there who are really poorly. I hope this story will be a comfort to you as much as it has been for me.

I personnally don't believe in god....but i do now believe there is something!
When my mum told me it sent a chill down my spine....but at least its nice to know that maybe there will be someone waiting for us at the gates so it won't be such a frightening experience. Death used to scare me until now.

Stevens memorial service is on the 29th April. Hes buried in America. He left his wife Mary a letter telling her what he wanted to where for his funeral. He was very much a teddy boy.....black hair & a quiff! He wanted to wear his red socks! Bless him He even told her what boxer shorts he wanted to wear.

I'm relieved he's not in pain anymore. I bet my aunty Mavis is looking after him really well!! Bless her.....she had really bad thrombosis & had to have her legs amputated, she died the day after the operation.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2006, 08:42 PM
my brother in laws aunt died due to a brain tumor so i know how terrible it is for the family to see.
good for you i am glad they found each other in the end and now reunited.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
im so sorry for your loss, and yes ibeleive the story, and i know when its my time to go (not for a while i hope) that my mum will be there waiting for me, i know this for certain as i has a lovely dream years ago about her (just after she had passed away) and she will be waiting for me to take me to a lovely green tree lined place full of flowers.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Thoughts are with you.
Good Luck with Race For Life at Coventry memorial park.

Min xxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
A lovely heartwarming story. Thank you for sharing it with us xx
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
i not only believe your story but can share with you my nanas story too

my nana had a heart attack at the age of 47, her heart stopped and in the time it took them to revive her she kept saying

"alan wait for me, dont run away from your mammy, wait for me im coming with you"

they revived her and she came round she muttered "he wasnt ready for me to go yet"

alan was my nanas son who had died of a heart condition at the age of 18, and she remembered seeing him and him running away shaking his head, she said it must of been his way of telling her he would be there when her time came but she wasnt ready to leave our world yet
i hope my uncle alan was there to meet his "mammy" the day she did leave us

it brings great comfort knowing our loved ones come to meet us doesnt it

im so sorry about your cousin hun x x
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2006, 06:57 PM
So sorry for your loss, it's awful when someone so close dies. I remember the week before my dad died, him saying

"you know when I die, love"
"you are not going to die, ever, you can't!!!!"
"don't be stupid, Sarra, I've got to go sometime, but when I do, I can die happy, you've done alright for yourself, and you've a wondeful family, and Grey will always take care of you, and he loves that baby, you know, so much, I can see it in his eyes, he's a good bloke, and I'm glad you've got that, you deserve it, that's one taken care of anyway"
"shuddup, you can't..you are never going to die" followed by me breaking my heart for an hour (post natal depression..)
The day before he died was the last time I saw him, face to face, and he hugged me so hard after I picked Katie up (he used to mind her whilst I worked) and said that he would miss me tomorrow
"you'll be glad of a break, dad, and I'm not working, my hair needs doing"
"I do love you, you know, and I can die happy"
obviously, more crying from me.

the next day was the day he died, he wasn't ill, he had a massive heart attack, we spoke about silly trivial things, like my mum being a headcase etc..lol, 6 phonecalls back and fourth all day, the last one was 5 minutes before he went. His last words he said to me.
"..anyway love, I'm going to put the kettle on, Laura's picking Kristin up, so I can get on with this tumbling, I'll see you tomorrow, and I'm always with you."
"love you dad, your my best friend, how sad am I??"
"love you too Sarra, see you later tater, you know where I am if you need me."
5 minutes later he was gone.

I know he knew he was going, he even, for the last six days of his life, with me sworn to not force the issue, or even mention it, had tried to give up smoking, on his birthday, 6 days before he died. I bought him a nicorette inhailer and the gum, and he hid them in an old fag packet, I wasn't to say anything incase he couldn't do it, he'd been smoking since he was 12, 41 years of smoking and he quit just before he died. I was so proud of him trying so hard, because he was in constant pain as his spine was disolving and he had arthritus very bad in his hands and his knee (one was plastic). He quit though..he did!
well, sorry about all that post, I've just wrote all this, sat here crying, and I'm feeling guilty now.

So sorry about your cousin, at least he isn't suffering now. Hope he and Mavis are getting on ok up there!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >