Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anglaise
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Is it a Stroke or Dementia?

How would you decide between a stroke or dementia in a 10-year-old dog who is disorientated, seems lost and confused in her usual environment and whose sight and hearing have rapidly deteriorated?

My dog Bella has these symptoms and I'm worried that the vet has wrongly diagnosed, and so wrongly prescribed. She has diagnosed an oxygenating treatment. Bella has had 4 doses so far, 1 morning and 1 evening. Yesterday morning, I thought we'd been given a miracle cure as there was such a vast improvement but later in the day she worsened again and is worse again this morning.

Since Sunday, Bella no longer wants to go for walks. It's like attaching a lead to a cat - she hasn't a clue. I think maybe because, at the vet's, I drew attention to Sunday's change in behaviour, the vet decided she'd had a stroke. But I'm surprised and worried that she didn't want to take any tests. We have to return in a week's time.

Bella is almost completely deaf and has glaucoma in one eye and a cataract in the other but as long as she's not in pain and still wags her tail from time to time, her life is worth living. But it's horrible to see her so lost. The vet said at least 3 times, the prognosis is not good. Please can anyone comment or advise. Should I get a second opinion?

PS I took a list of Bella's symptoms with me but the vet only looked at the first few.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I personally would get a 2nd opinion if your not happy with your vets diagnosis.

I can't comment on your dogs symptoms, although a few weeks ago my dog had a massive stroke. He went rapidly downhill and lost the use of his left hand side. His heart and the way his blood was pumping was very erratic. Sadly I lost him 2 hours after the onset.
Milder strokes would obviously be different to what my dog suffered though and they can get over them and go on to lead a fairly normal life.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
So sorry to hear about your poor little dog going downhill like this. I'm not actually surprised the vet only read a few of those lines in the list that you took in to him, in all honestly. You have to remember they see these things day in day out, they know what the dogs are suffering from usually from the minute they see them or put their hands on them, so you really have to put your trust in them sometimes

Not easy for you I know, having to see your dog in this confused state, but he probably is right in his diagnoses, dogs can have mini strokes same as humans can, and I know from my mum having them, she got confused, disorientated, didn't know what she was doing half the time until it all passed, but 9 times out of 10 she'd have another one very soon after, usually just as she was getting back to her normal self again.

If you feel you cannot accept what he's telling you, then of course you should get a 2nd opinion, I know I would, but as I said, sometimes you have to put your faith in what they are telling you, because he has probably seen this so many times in an ageing animal, and having only read the first couple of lines from your list, that in itself probably told him his findings are right

You could always ring him, and tell him how she's been getting on with the meds, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to chat with you about not only the meds, but how things could progress from here, and pointers for you to watch out for.

It's never easy when we watch our oldies going downhill, I had the very same with my old boy last February when he was approaching 14. He probably had a few mini strokes, sometimes he would go to walk out of the back door for his walk, but he would go behind the opened door instead of through it, that kind of thing. Then his old legs would suddenly give way on him, and being 55 kgs in weight(he was a very big gsd on steroids!) not only did this upset him when they tied together and I had to physically lift him back up, but it also frightened me that we would one day get stuck out on a walk and I couldn't have got him back to the car . I made my decision for him, when he told me he had had enough, and hopefully, your girl will do the same for you when she has had enough too.

I really think to put your mind at rest, you ought to speak to your vet about the prognosis, and if you're both happy to carry on with the meds, see how she goes, if you can both cope, because it's your dog who is the most important one in this sad scenario, and I know you wouldn't want her to be suffering or frightened in her current condition and will do all that you can to help her.

My heart goes out to you, I hope the meds will work for her, but don't expect a miracle cure, if she is having mini strokes, then they can only maintain her, they cannot miraculously cure her, and that's going to be the hardest part for you to accept isn't it. I'm so sorry
anglaise
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Madmare, thank you for your response. I'm very sorry to hear about your sad loss.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I can't comment from a 'dog' perspective, but my mum had a mini stroke a few months ago. Ever since she has has bouts of dizziness, shuffles to walk and is very unsteady even when standing and feels ill most of the time. The only definitive way that the doctors could confirm diagnosis was an MRI scan.

As strokes affect the brain, then a whole host of symptoms can arise.

If I was in your position, I'd be ringing the vet to tell them about how your dog is now after the medication and ask for advice. If still not happy, then, yes, I would go for a second opinion
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 06:41 PM
My heart goes out to you because it is so awful to watch a beloved dog like Bella become so confused.

Our first dog, Ben, suffered several small strokes and I also witnessed them in dogs in kennels..........the recovery was fairly quick and in all cases but one the dog was the same dog that it was before the stroke. Ben eventually had a major stroke/and or heart attack and died peacefully a few hours later with the help of a vet.

So, although this is by no means a complete answer to your question, it is my own experience, and what you describe seems to be much more in the realm of dementia.

A big cuddle for you, and lots of luck in getting it sorted out.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 06:47 PM
So sorry to hear about your dog. What I'd do before getting the second opinion is to ask your present vet to be more forthcoming and explain more to you instead of just saying 'the prognosis is not good' or anything else that they might just be saying to spare your feelings or avoid the blunt truth. Asking exactly what that means and what they EXPECT to happen and what the best case/worst case scenarios are.

Lots of medical professionals even those treating humans just don't cope well with giving people any bad news.
anglaise
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you all very much for your replies. I rang the vet yesterday afternoon as Bella's condition was worse. The vet said she could prescribe an additional treatment which I collected this morning. I took Bella so the vet could see her condition - she could no longer walk by then.

The vet gave her an injection and now we have a cortisone treatment. Bella actually walked out of the vet's and has walked a little in the garden since she got home which makes me much more optimistic. Yesterday, I really began to think she was on her last legs.

Yesterday she did do the typical stroke action of circling so I have to accept the vet is probably right in her diagnosis. I so hope Bella's progress continues as I love her so much and I'm not ready to lose her yet a while.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Its such a worrying time for you and I am so sorry to hear of Bella's problems. Its good to hear that she managed to walk a little after the injection and I do so hope that she continues to improve.
Big hugs to you both xx
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Do you have a canine Hydrotherapy centre near you? Maybe your vet can refer you.

It would be easier for her exercise in water.worth trying once to see if she enjoys it as if she does it might help her with her walking.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >