Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Oh dear I owe someone a new ball.

Honey really doesn't like not going without being walked off lead .

I'm back looking after, well three kids this week while their mum is down portsmouth for a funeral, yesterday the dogs went for a walk, but it was on lead, this wasn't enough, after she over enthusicatly went to say hello to Drew I decided to take her outside for a while to play, within two minutes she had stolen a ball that had been left and decided no-one could take it back, as it was from the house that I was in at the time I decided to let her have it and it became a game, after all she had never popped a football yet...well she has, after a while I decided to put her back and get Diesel out, although someone then got in the back garden with Honey and she came out again now this person thinks that they can handle Honey, but they had never seen Honey like this, and they soon dropped the lead, and she went running and scared a little Jack russel that was out with a little kid, then decided when I got her on her lead (was 12ft) to run round like a horse being lunged at full speed killing the toy goose that was in her mouth (this was hers ) while Diesel looked on wondering what the hell was going on, after about ten minutes she slowed down, but something tells me, no matter what, madam needs out today.

Tbh though its probally a good thing, as most the people who see the dogs think that they are easy, they walk nice next to buggys and other things, and they sleep all day, its not common for people to see them like this, I don't think people realise how they can actually be, and how if they want to get somewhere how strong they can be either, but I don't think that anyone who saw her will forget any time soon...
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Really? Lurchers are easy and sleep all day? Wow! Nobody told my loopy Lurcher that bit.

Tashi frequently does things like that. She is a young dog (14 months) so I knwo she'll be playful and bouncy but she does need so much more stimulation that the GSDs which is why I'm getting her into agility. If she has something to focus on on top of the walks, exercise and running at full pelt as often as possible, then maybe she'll calm down in time.

And then again, knowing my luck, she'll be nutty forever.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:51 AM
When I had my Cariad I always carried some money in my pocket when out on walks in case she spotted & grabbed a football from some kids playing before I could get in the command to stop. She always brought it to me on command but 9 times out of ten it was punctured.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:02 PM
i usually put ty on a lead when i see kids playing with a ball as i know he will go after it

however once before i moved i was walking through the centre with him on a lead making my way up to my grandad's house and there was usually teenagers in there playing with a football that you had to dodge as they never stopped for anyone passing, but one day the teenagers were eyeing ty up and were going to kick the ball at him, i heard one say it, so i stopped and told them that if they kicked the ball near him i was going to let him off and they wouldn't get there ball back, they didn't believe me and were about to go ahead with it untill i took his lead off ( had a hold of him by the collar though so he couldn't go anywhere unless i let go) to which said teenager quickly picked up his ball and let us pass through

if he had kicked the ball at us i would have let ty go aswell and then called him back to me put him on a lead and let him carry his new toy up to my grandad's

after that i never had any problems walking through the centre again they used to just keep the ball with them untill we had passed then continued playing
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Really? Lurchers are easy and sleep all day? Wow! Nobody told my loopy Lurcher that bit.

Tashi frequently does things like that. She is a young dog (14 months) so I knwo she'll be playful and bouncy but she does need so much more stimulation that the GSDs which is why I'm getting her into agility. If she has something to focus on on top of the walks, exercise and running at full pelt as often as possible, then maybe she'll calm down in time.

And then again, knowing my luck, she'll be nutty forever.
Honey's loopy, if she hasn't been out and off lead for a day she can't stand it, I don't think that a lot of people realise why she's so calm when they see her is because of how much she's walked, but if she isn't, God help anyone who tries to keep her in, she can jump six foot fences, and open doors lol.

Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
When I had my Cariad I always carried some money in my pocket when out on walks in case she spotted & grabbed a football from some kids playing before I could get in the command to stop. She always brought it to me on command but 9 times out of ten it was punctured.
Lol, how much did you end up spending out on balls then?

Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
i usually put ty on a lead when i see kids playing with a ball as i know he will go after it

however once before i moved i was walking through the centre with him on a lead making my way up to my grandad's house and there was usually teenagers in there playing with a football that you had to dodge as they never stopped for anyone passing, but one day the teenagers were eyeing ty up and were going to kick the ball at him, i heard one say it, so i stopped and told them that if they kicked the ball near him i was going to let him off and they wouldn't get there ball back, they didn't believe me and were about to go ahead with it untill i took his lead off ( had a hold of him by the collar though so he couldn't go anywhere unless i let go) to which said teenager quickly picked up his ball and let us pass through

if he had kicked the ball at us i would have let ty go aswell and then called him back to me put him on a lead and let him carry his new toy up to my grandad's

after that i never had any problems walking through the centre again they used to just keep the ball with them untill we had passed then continued playing
At least they learnt, I would of let him off as soon as I heard them say it tbh, but then thats what I can be like
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 01:54 PM
it was very tempting but the ball would have had to be moving in order to get ty's interest dont get me wrong if they had kicked the ball, id have tried my best to deflect it from him but then he would have been let go to fetch his new toy ( i bet he would have got the ball before any of the teenagers did )
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Lol, how much did you end up spending out on balls then?
I think in the 15 years she lived it was about £20.
Must admit I didn't add it up at the time. Mind this was £20 in the 80s & early 90s. so worth more than £20 today.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
it was very tempting but the ball would have had to be moving in order to get ty's interest dont get me wrong if they had kicked the ball, id have tried my best to deflect it from him but then he would have been let go to fetch his new toy ( i bet he would have got the ball before any of the teenagers did )
I bet he would of got it before them too lol.

Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
I think in the 15 years she lived it was about £20.
Must admit I didn't add it up at the time. Mind this was £20 in the 80s & early 90s. so worth more than £20 today.
I bet you couldn't stay mad at her though could you