Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Weight gain

are dogs like poeple in the way they gain weight...like some people gain weight on thier belly or some on their bum etc. i ask because duke my gsd has gained abit of weight recently, hes always been very ribby. hes gained weight over his ribs but spine and hips are still quite prominant.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Quite possibly.

Jess and Harley both have (and Angus coming to think of it) a bit of their spines which you can still feel. It is where their backs start sloping a bit, but their hips don't show.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Quite possibly.

Jess and Harley both have (and Angus coming to think of it) a bit of their spines which you can still feel. It is where their backs start sloping a bit, but their hips don't show.
i used to worry that he was too thin but the vet always says hes fine. i can feel all his spine and hip bone but hes got a good covering on his ribs although i can easily fell all of them
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I tend to see it round the shoulders of the rotts, they tend to get a roll of fat right over there shoulders that goes over there back at the back of the neck.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2010, 04:16 PM
How old is he? Young Shepherds often insist on showing off their ribs. Once they are a little older, they may fill out a little more. As long as you can still feel the ribs, it is fine.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I think some do, yes.

I hadn't realised that Hoki had put on so much weight over the winter as she still had a 'waste' and I could still feel her back ribs. Most of Hoki's weight went on her bum and round her shoulders. Luckily most of it is off again now.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I tend to see it round the shoulders of the rotts, they tend to get a roll of fat right over there shoulders that goes over there back at the back of the neck.
Same with H (Lab). When she puts on weight thats where it goes. Although most labs tend to have a round belly and fat bum she gets fat neck and shoulders!!! Thats when i know its time to cut down!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
maybe its the different breeds that gain weiht in different places then

Originally Posted by Labman View Post
How old is he? Young Shepherds often insist on showing off their ribs. Once they are a little older, they may fill out a little more. As long as you can still feel the ribs, it is fine.
he will be 5 y in july. i think i will always be able to feel his ribs, hes very active and prefers running after his ball and swimming to food any day

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think some do, yes.

I hadn't realised that Hoki had put on so much weight over the winter as she still had a 'waste' and I could still feel her back ribs. Most of Hoki's weight went on her bum and round her shoulders. Luckily most of it is off again now.
yea just goes to show doesn't it as vets normally tell you to make sure you can feel their ribs and they have a waist, you dont tend to check anywhere else
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Parker has put on about 0.8kg since last years vet check so I hope the vet won't tell me off though he doesn't look fat just well covered! I thought it was fur until he came back from the trimmers! His extra weight is round his ribs (Kerry Blue terrier).

Don't like fat pets though so cutting down on the treats.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Parker has put on about 0.8kg since last years vet check so I hope the vet won't tell me off though he doesn't look fat just well covered! I thought it was fur until he came back from the trimmers! His extra weight is round his ribs (Kerry Blue terrier).

Don't like fat pets though so cutting down on the treats.
me neither, i see sooo many overweight dogs at work but the owners never think they are!!