View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I think the descriptions are worded a little confusingly but all seem to agree except the energy levels on the star chart. I think the "not an apartment dog" is because they're big and it's probably not too good on their joints to constantly go up and down stairs - but they'd make good apartment in terms of being generally quite chilled/lazy when indoors (so may suit a ground floor apartment). The big yard thing is not to keep them out in the yard, but because they're big dogs - playing fetch with a chihuahua in a small yard is fine, but when your dog takes two steps and reaches the end of the yard, it limits the amount of games you can play out in the garden! It's all good providing walks but sometimes it's nice to just go in your back garden and throw a ball around and let the dog have a potter around here and there.

But remember, whatever breed description you choose to believe, these are just generalisations. I have a German Shepherd who's not the sharpest crayon in the box despite intelligence being something the breed is known for. He's a big clumsy oaf who does much better with physical luring and games than he does with figuring things out mentally. Not that I don't love him for it, but he certainly wouldn't make a good working dog!
You may end up with a Leonberger that is a lazy dog who'd fit into apartment life just fine, or you may end up with a very active dog who needs constant physical and mental stimulation and would do much better in a working-type home - doing search & rescue, or rescue at sea, something like that. Dogs aren't predictable so never rely on a written description to be 100% true.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
But remember, whatever breed description you choose to believe, these are just generalisations. I have a German Shepherd who's not the sharpest crayon in the box despite intelligence being something the breed is known for.
Yep - even with crossbreeds. I've got something we believe is a high percentage of German Shepherd/Collie cross (there has to be something else in there as well to explain his beard)... and he got the brains from neither side of the equation.
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I think the descriptions are worded a little confusingly but all seem to agree except the energy levels on the star chart. I think the "not an apartment dog" is because they're big and it's probably not too good on their joints to constantly go up and down stairs - but they'd make good apartment in terms of being generally quite chilled/lazy when indoors (so may suit a ground floor apartment). The big yard thing is not to keep them out in the yard, but because they're big dogs - playing fetch with a chihuahua in a small yard is fine, but when your dog takes two steps and reaches the end of the yard, it limits the amount of games you can play out in the garden! It's all good providing walks but sometimes it's nice to just go in your back garden and throw a ball around and let the dog have a potter around here and there.
If only people had invented a machine that could travel vertically in buildings to transport goods from the bottom to the very top. Such a contraption would be incredibly helpful. It could be named... an elevator!

Not being familiar with big dogs I thought the issue with joints was that they shouldn't be jumping around while growing. I understand that once they are older and less mobile it becomes a bigger problem.

You may end up with a Leonberger that is a lazy dog who'd fit into apartment life just fine, or you may end up with a very active dog who needs constant physical and mental stimulation and would do much better in a working-type home - doing search & rescue, or rescue at sea, something like that. Dogs aren't predictable so never rely on a written description to be 100% true.
I'll be prepared for both types of dog, I like planning things too much.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
They are a breed I would love to own but the description available online is not great.

No idea what to believe tbh.
You need to meet some real people who own real dogs! So I would suggest you need to get yourself to a few dog shows or Discover Dogs and then you can ask some owners about their dogs and you'll still get lots of different opinions but at least you'll be getting them from the horses mouth!

J.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Um..
indoor toilets for dogs?
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Um..
indoor toilets for dogs?
http://www.thepetloo.com/uk/

One of these apparently.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
If only people had invented a machine that could travel vertically in buildings to transport goods from the bottom to the very top. Such a contraption would be incredibly helpful. It could be named... an elevator!
Firstly, not all apartments have them (I lived briefly in a first floor flat that was accessed by outdoor stairs, no lift there) and secondly, what if they're out of order? If you adopt a giant breed dog and you end up living in a 3rd floor apartment when the dog was elderly and ended up with stiff joints, how would you get it out to go to the toilet on the day that the elevator happened to be out of order? Dogs need toilet breaks every day, their bladder won't wait for the repairman to arrive, so definately something to consider. Stairs aren't a natural obstacle for dogs and put unneccessary strains on the joints, whatever the age. A small flight of stairs to a bedroom two or three times a day may not have a big effect but constantly going up and down multiple flights of stairs may not do them much good.
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Snip
That bit was meant to be a joke, I guess it didn't work.

I live on the ground floor and will be getting a puppy so it shouldn't be a problem for a while.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:56 PM
The garden size has nothing to do with exercise for Leo's They dont do fetch !!!!

Why should they when you keep throwing it away again

They love to dig up gardens or just laze in the shade or the rain/snow.

They can seem to be stupid BUT dont be fooled, they work out a situation before acting on it!

The description you posted is VERY generalised for most breeds, talk to breeders. most love to chat about the breed.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Have a look at The Leonberger Club of GB site. there is loads of info on there you might find useful.

Breed clubs are a good starting point.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >