Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Unsuitable first dogs (threads merged)

I have recently brought home my first dog, he is a cross between a northern inuit and GSD. I have seen both these breeds stated as unsuitable as first dogs. I had read this before deciding on this type of dog and although originally put off I came to the decision, that getting a different "first dog" and waiting 10-15 years before getting the type of dog I really want was totally unrealistic.

I have researched these dogs and i'm totally prepared to put in as much work as is needed to have a happy healthy dog.

So what do people mean by this? Do we have to be in our 30's or 40's before we should take on these breeds as although I had dogs growing up- my parents took to do with the training etc. i am genuinely interested on your thoughts.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-09-2009, 12:49 PM
A very experienced and respected trainer once told me it takes 18 months to train a dog and 18 years to train a handler.

I have put an incredible effort into training my lab x for working trials and she's almost ready.

If I could go back and do it again differently from when she was a pup, would i do it differently? Absolutely, I wish I knew then what I know now. Its just as well she has a highly trainable breed in her or i could have really mucked her up. As it is she's a brilliant dog, once I learnt how to train a retriever type to retrieve.....

She's my 3rd Dog, in my opinion your on your 4th before you know what your doing.

However, you have done this right thing, you've came here for advice. But please bear in mind that if you asked the top 100 dog trainers in the world how to train a dog you'll get 101 different answers.....

What you have to find out quickly is what sits comfortably for you and what works for the dog as well.

Theres ONE thing that all dog handlers and trainers seem to agree on though - excercise is the key to a happy and healthy well trained dog.

Hope that helps!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
A very experienced and respected trainer once told me it takes 18 months to train a dog and 18 years to train a handler.

I have put an incredible effort into training my lab x for working trials and she's almost ready.

If I could go back and do it again differently from when she was a pup, would i do it differently? Absolutely, I wish I knew then what I know now. Its just as well she has a highly trainable breed in her or i could have really mucked her up. As it is she's a brilliant dog, once I learnt how to train a retriever type to retrieve.....

She's my 3rd Dog, in my opinion your on your 4th before you know what your doing.

However, you have done this right thing, you've came here for advice. But please bear in mind that if you asked the top 100 dog trainers in the world how to train a dog you'll get 101 different answers.....

What you have to find out quickly is what sits comfortably for you and what works for the dog as well.

Theres ONE thing that all dog handlers and trainers seem to agree on though - excercise is the key to a happy and healthy well trained dog.

Hope that helps!
Stunning post!
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi I posted this in another place too as i thought it was better suited, but then didn't know how to delete this one?

Perhaps I am impatient but it didn't seem right to me that I should have a different dog first, i am very possibly naive and will get a rude awakening ( i hope not). I have read about the importance of exercise, which I agree is the one thing folks seem to agree on.

There is conflicting advice on just about everything else!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I often advise following your heart. One myth many people with enough experience to know better perpetuate is that every one of a breed is alike. The one Shepherd we raised was an easier puppy than most of our Labs. Of course, she is now grandmother to most of the Shepherds the dog guide school she belongs to is breeding. So she was not a typical Shepherd.

Have people suggested a Lab instead? Have you read Marley and Me? It is a great example of doing everything wrong. A poorly bred lab in the hands of not only inexperienced people, but ones that failed to seek good advice.

Of course, I think good advice is getting lost on the internet. 10 years ago when I first started answering dog questions, many of the others knew more than I did. Now, most of the good people are gone. I would try to find a good book.

The Cultural Clash by Jean Donaldson, 1996

Excel-crated Learning by Pamela Reid, 1996

Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor, 1996

Surviving Your Dog's Adolescence, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1993

Second Hand dog, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1988

Dog Problems, by Carol Lea Benjamin, 1989

Super Puppy, by Peter J. Vollmer, 1988

HELP, Mt dog Has an Attitude, by Gwen Bohnenkamp, 1994

Owners' Guide Better Behavior in Dogs and Cats, by William Campbell, 1989

What All Good dogs Should Know, By Wendy Vollmer, 1991

How to Raise a Dog When Nobody is Home, Jerry Kilmer, 1991

What you really need is the loose leaf notebook they give us, but it isn't available to the public.

The school's goal for those raising puppies for it, is much the same as what many pet owners would want, a healthy, well behaved dog.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Its a constant learning process for us humans, and I know exactly what nick means, Toro is my 5th dog from pup and I have learned so much over the years with each new one I have had...GSD, Shar pei, 2 N. Inuits and Toro Diablo my EBT all very different dogs in so many ways, the learning curves have been amazing and on my 5th dog feel the years have only got better xx

ETA I don't believe there is such a thing as an unsuitable first dog x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 01:47 PM
You've said you're prepared to put in as much work as is necessary to have a happy healthy dog. Good for you!
Just how I felt when I rescued my first dog - a jack. Another one not meant for first timers
If you're prepared to do right by your dog, you're the right owner
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I agree that training is key - I have no knowledge of Inuits but certainly GSD's need trained and an outlet for their energy and intelligence. Ours were tireless and needed lots of exercise. I presume your dog will be the same, being a cross?

I think what people mean by saying a certain breeds are not ideal first dogs are perhaps the ones which have specific requirements/needs? Some breeds are 'easier' than others to live with. Some are couch-potatoes that are happy with a stroll around the block and are submissive in nature. Others are high-energy and naturally dominant, they need lots of exercise and a strong but firm hand. These dogs need a specific type of handler/owner, who will raise and train them correctly and exercise their brain as well as their legs. I would have thought your cross falls into the latter.

Our first two dogs were a Rottie bitch and a GSD male which we got in our Twenties after we bought our first house. Everyone thought we were mad and we would end up with Dangerous Dogs or eaten by them!! What they failed to realize is that we'd researched thoroughly before buying too. They regularly went to training and enjoyed obedience, agility, working trials training and we showed them too. We took them out for very long walks twice daily and as a result were very happy, well-rounded dogs and very obedient too. Of course, had we not bothered training, hardly walked them and allowed them to dominate it would have been a different story.

As you've said you are happy to put the work in to give your pup the best life. That is all any good dog-owner can do. Don't let other peoples opinions worry you - there are often too many 'experts' where dogs are concerned!!

I'd say if you've researched into it beforehand (which you did) and still thought the dog was right for you, then you've made an informed choice.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
If you're prepared to do right by your dog, you're the right owner
Well said xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I took on my first dog - a rehomed GSD - 40 years ago. Best thing I ever did!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >