Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chevy2
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Lupoid onychodystrophy ,problem

I have a german shepherd, she is 12 years old and has started to lose her claws. The vet removed a claw and she has had a long course of antibiotics, it has made no difference.She has lost all her claws from both front feet. I have seen pictures of a dog with an immune deficiency problem called Lupoid onychodystrophy, my dogs feet look exactly the same. The next step for sasha is a nail biopsy to confirm my findings.My dog is otherwise healthy and fit but in a lot of pain. Can anyone give me advise on how to treat this problem.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:06 PM
That sounds awful. I'm afraid I have no advice, but I just hope you can get to the bottom of it. Is it like lupus - an auto-immune thing?

ETA: Just found this - unfortunately can't find the full text, but your vet might have a subscription and might be able to get it? Has some treatment ideas so definitely worth mentioning to your vet:

http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/content/abstract/39/2/139
chevy2
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you very much for replying to my post. It does also sound like lupus but i have not seen photographs of lupus and without a nail biopsy, I can't be sure. you are right in thinking its the immune system for both problems I am going to do some more research. (dietry and supplements) The vet said it could be an allergy or an infection, I have now ruled these out after all the antibiotics sasha has taken, as they have done nothing at all. especially after finding this information.