View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I dont see why not but too be honest if its a KC registered dog its impossible to fake the stud dog as the owner has to sign as well and I cant think of many people who would sign if they hadnt got a stud fee. The last litter I sold most of the puppy enquries came from the stud dog owner themselves.
jenny tamworth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I dont see why not but too be honest if its a KC registered dog its impossible to fake the stud dog as the owner has to sign as well and I cant think of many people who would sign if they hadnt got a stud fee. The last litter I sold most of the puppy enquries came from the stud dog owner themselves.

it is not a kennel club breed, so dont know if it is all down to trust, and hope i choose someone trustworthy
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 06:31 PM
what breed you looking at hun we might be able to answer your question better
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Being able to view both sire and dam is more often than not a bad sign...it usually(but not always)means that the nearest most convenient sire has been used...not the best.
Ask WHY the breeder used the stud they did...studs should be chosen to compliment breed lines,try to correct faults and obviously have good health test results.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Being able to view both sire and dam is more often than not a bad sign...it usually(but not always)means that the nearest most convenient sire has been used...not the best.
Ask WHY the breeder used the stud they did...studs should be chosen to compliment breed lines,try to correct faults and obviously have good health test results.
Thats the point I was trying to get across and failed
Thank you, I've reppied you good post.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post
I know that some breeders are doing health tests now and have been advised by friends to not take a breeders word that tests that have been done, but to ask to see the certificates re hip scores etc.

What other health tests do they do?

Do breeders vet check their pups, vaccinate and microchip or is that down to the buyer?

Should I ask to see both parents, if the breeder has both, or will I only get to see the pup that is available?
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I thought I would reply to Jessica's questions.

(1) In Siberian Huskies, the hips should be X-rayed and scored under the BVA scheme. The breed average currently is currently 7. Eyes should be tested (and certificated) at least for PRA, Hereditary Cataracts and Glaucoma. Some also test for PPM.

(2) Most good breeders will get their pups vet checked, microchipped and will give the pup their first vaccination.

(3) If the breeder has both parents, then you should see them - after all, what better indication of what your pup might look like as an adult. Bear in mind though that the bitch may well be out of coat and looking a little thin after raising a litter of puppies. Ask to see photos of what she looks like normally. Most good breeders will expect you to visit the litter several times before you pick up your puppy, so you will also have the opportunity to see the rest of the pups in your dog's litter. If you are met at the door with just the one pup and are given no opportunity to see the rest of the breeder's dogs and their set-up, walk away!

Hope this helps.

Mick
JessicaK
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the good info
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2