Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
While I am not keen on legislation that targets breeds, I am unconvinced by the need to un-ban and make freely available those breeds currently restricted.

The need for repeal of Sec. 1, DDA is the ineffectiveness of the legistaion in preventing dog attacks combined with the injustice that is embodied within it.

http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/in_memory.html
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
Maybe it is time we forget what "we" want and think about the dog. I said I owned one of these large flock guardians whom I loved very much but living with them for 12 years I began to see more and more that being a "pet" was not what they need. Flock guardians can work in places like Australia and America (as well as their countries of origin) where there are great tracks of land that they can work. They would be too dangerous to be left in fields over here to do their job.

Here they are mostly confined - can not be let of the lead. Most breeders desire 1st generation stock with inbuilt temperaments and yes after many selective mating you can get a nice pet but that goes against the breed - so why do it.
Out of interest what breed did you own? I happen to own two flock guardians. Yes, they guard. No, I don't leave them unsupervised outdoors to guard. It's about knowing your breed and managing it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I have to say that I can't see the appeal at all of the "banned" breeds. My idea of dog ownership isn't to have a dog that is so primal in it's instincts that it can't be trusted around people or other dogs. I can't think of anything worse than having to be on your toes all the time because of the type of dog you have and it's temperament. Where is the fun in that? no thanks.
Nimah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Out of interest what breed did you own? I happen to own two flock guardians. Yes, they guard. No, I don't leave them unsupervised outdoors to guard. It's about knowing your breed and managing it.
Exactly. Dogs are so versatile that they can turn there hand (or paw) just about anything. Dogo's, Fila and Tosas I am sure could be competant Schutzhund, french ring, working trial, obedience or agility dogs. Pit bulls have already proven themselves in many areas of sport. They don't just have to do the job they were bred for in order to live full exciting lives.
When I mentioned selective breeding it was to make the breed a more muted temperament not to transform them into a pure pet or loose breed type. Its just to make it more manageable for the owner. I don't expect dogs like this to be fire-side ornaments.
loraine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=labradork;1886586]I have to say that I can't see the appeal at all of the "banned" breeds. My idea of dog ownership isn't to have a dog that is so primal in it's instincts that it can't be trusted around people or other dogs. I can't think of anything worse than having to be on your toes all the time because of the type of dog you have and it's temperament. Where is the fun in that? no thanks. [/Q

my friend was attacked by three yorkies so was her gentle and loving german shepherd, i suppose your saying its alright for certain breeds to attack but not others. I SAY BAN THE DEED NOT THE BREED
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Anatolians - The dog was super keen the bitch was much softer. When out and about I was 100% vigilant - never let of lead, could easily clear 6/7ft fence so had special fencing - always felt safe but not an easy dog to live with because they were "on guard" 24/7. I could have walked for 12 hours and never tired them but couldn't let them have a good run (they can do 35mph) because if they spotted anything they would be off. They are not GSDs they do what they think is necessary which is not necessarily the same as you.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
Anatolians - The dog was super keen the bitch was much softer. When out and about I was 100% vigilant - never let of lead, could easily clear 6/7ft fence so had special fencing - always felt safe but not an easy dog to live with because they were "on guard" 24/7. I could have walked for 12 hours and never tired them but couldn't let them have a good run (they can do 35mph) because if they spotted anything they would be off. They are not GSDs they do what they think is necessary which is not necessarily the same as you.
Beautiful dogs, I really like these but can fully understand the type of commitment involved in keeping them.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
My idea of dog ownership isn't to have a dog that is so primal in it's instincts that it can't be trusted around people or other dogs.
Lol!

Ach! So primal!

or even...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BevUJlp-Iw

(Incidentally, the dogs in the picture used to belong to Micheal Vick. Remember him? Demonstrating that the primal instincts of even ex-fighting dogs can be predominantly social)
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Beautiful dogs, I really like these but can fully understand the type of commitment involved in keeping them.
The breeders used to send people to visit us that were thinking of changing breeds from say GSD, Rotties etc. The usual concensus was that they adored our dogs but said they couldn't live with their independent nature after having owned dogs that were far more biddable.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have to say that I can't see the appeal at all of the "banned" breeds. My idea of dog ownership isn't to have a dog that is so primal in it's instincts that it can't be trusted around people or other dogs. I can't think of anything worse than having to be on your toes all the time because of the type of dog you have and it's temperament. Where is the fun in that? no thanks.
anydog owner should always be 'on their toes' imo

oh and ive know a helluva alot of untrustable labs (along with other so called 'family dogs'
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »