View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Dog on dog aggression and dog on human aggression are two seperate issues. Just because a breed was used for fighting doesn't make each individual dog of that breed a danger to other dogs, and definitely not a danger to humans!!! Dogos, Filas and Pit bulls have been used for fighting, as have Staffies, Akitas, Anatolians, Kerry blue terriers etc. etc. but although some lines may not tolerate other dogs well, it has NOTHING to do with human aggression.
I totally agree with this but so many of these breeds are dog aggressive and there is a knock-on effect with owners who cannot handle them properly.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
The dogs in question were the Tosa and Dogo - both large guarding breeds.
The Dogo is a large game hunting breed (similar to the Rhodesian Ridgeback in this regard). The Tosa was bred for fighting.

Neither of these breeds had a significant prescence in the UK prior to the DDA and, if they are sought after today, we can attribute that to the glorification (in the eyes of those least suitable) that bans always achieve. Well done, DDA! And hardly a good reason to keep it.

Personally I agree with those who maintain that a lifting of the ban would not see a huge influx of these breeds. What the owner that gets a dog to look tough needs, above all other things, is a dog they can control. That's why Staffies are so popular - they're small enough to control even if you're too stupid to train a dog. Being dragged down the road by your own dog doesn't add to the tough guy image. Tosas are just too big for most to manage.

If the ban was lifted I'm sure we would see a few of these dogs appear thanks, as I said, to the image that the DDA has lent them but I don't think we'd see the huge influx that some predict.

Wolfdogowner wrote:
If the dog is not allowed then the argument for welfare is hypothetical; no dogs, no pups born therefore no welfare issues.
The APBT has been banned for almost twenty years and yet there are more 'type' dogs here today than back when the Act came into force. The dopgs may not be allowed but they're here all the same.

There seems to be some misguided idea that there is no genetic component to dog aggression
There is no genetic component to aggression that spans entire breeds. The APBT scores more highly in temperament tests than most other breeds.

Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
No we dont we vet who breeds and keeps dogs somehow
Exactly.

Dog Ownership Test
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
There is no genetic component to aggression that spans entire breeds. The APBT scores more highly in temperament tests than most other breeds.

Dog Ownership Test
But then I never said that, though I would like to see proof that there is no genetic element to aggression.

As for an ownership test, it seems to only prove that the applicant can demonstrate a degree of knowledge in front of the dog police; what the dog police can not determine is if that person will stick to the rules or intends to ignore them and start a dog fighting ring...
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
Why has banning breeds led to the massive upsurge in breeding Staffies? Staffies are not banned - don't really understand.
because every time the papers mention pit bulls, they show a picture of a Staffies. Many of the GP believe them to be one and the same thing, in fact many byb are breeding taller staffies that resemble Pit bulls and do fall under 'type'. Staffies used to be seen as family pets, these days they are seen as 'hard' dogs. This is because of BSL. BSL created status dogs. Sadly the Staffie is a status dog for lots of people.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
But then I never said that, though I would like to see proof that there is no genetic element to aggression.

As for an ownership test, it seems to only prove that the applicant can demonstrate a degree of knowledge in front of the dog police; what the dog police can not determine is if that person will stick to the rules or intends to ignore them and start a dog fighting ring...
That wasn't what was said. There is proof that temperament can be down to nature as well as nurture. But aggression does not cover entire breeds. When I decided on a JRT I looked into lines. Many lines are dog aggressive. I chose one which isn't. I have had the same advice for choosing a Malamute. There are lines in Estrelas which have less than wonderful temperaments. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. Any dog from sound lines can be a wonderful family pet, regardless of breed.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
because every time the papers mention pit bulls, they show a picture of a Staffies. Many of the GP believe them to be one and the same thing, in fact many byb are breeding taller staffies that resemble Pit bulls and do fall under 'type'. Staffies used to be seen as family pets, these days they are seen as 'hard' dogs. This is because of BSL. BSL created status dogs. Sadly the Staffie is a status dog for lots of people.
While the first part of your post may well be true, I would beg to differ that BSL 'created' status dogs; while it might give some notoriety to a breed 'hard' dogs have always been around, just fashions change. In the '60s it was GSDs, then Dobermanns then by the '70s Rotties etc

Maybe Portuguese mountain livestock guarding dogs will become fashionable next
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
While the first part of your post may well be true, I would beg to differ that BSL 'created' status dogs; while it might give some notoriety to a breed 'hard' dogs have always been around, just fashions change. In the '60s it was GSDs, then Dobermanns then by the '70s Rotties etc

Maybe Portuguese mountain livestock guarding dogs will become fashionable next

or wolfdogs????????
Nimah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Just to respond to the original point of the OP about the need for the new breeds.

Variety is the spice of life

These breeds are already established in other countries s why not introduce them here. Personally I would want the banning of deliberate cross breeding and the importation of long bred foreign breeds instead, at least with these dogs you know full well what sort of temperament you are getting.

I am one that appreciates the bear-like form of the Caucasian Ovtcharka, but by no means am I ignorant of the fact that the animal is a hardcore guarding dog, probably one of the most difficult dogs in the world to handle. I would love to own one of these dogs but by god, not until I have done at least another 10 yrs of handling large breeds, and even then I suspect I'll be in for a challenge.

I would love to go to a champ show and see the Tosa, Fila, Dogo, Ovtcharka's, Thai ridgeback etc all competing. As a dog fancier I love the variety of form and can think the presence of these breeds in the hands of responsible breeders
Remember if these breeds were to become established in the UK, breeders would probably move to breed a calmer less instinctual dog. The Dogue De Bordeux for example, breeders have done a fantastic job in muting this breeds once feirce temperament and now we see beautiful Bordeux with equally beautiful temperaments. This of course mean it is no less of a guardian but it is more manageable as a household dog.

Can I recommend a book called 'Pit bulls and other tenacious guard dogs' by Dr Semencic to anyone who is interested in these dogs, I found it very enlightening.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Nimah View Post

I would love to go to a champ show and see the Tosa, Fila, Dogo, Ovtcharka's, Thai ridgeback etc all competing. As a dog fancier I love the variety of form and can think the presence of these breeds in the hands of responsible breeders
Last time I went to a world class show a Dogo went for an unsuspecting CSV (walking by ignoring it on the way from the ring) - scared the **** out of everybody!
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
[/B]

or wolfdogs????????
Sorry but I think you missed that one; it happened just after they were removed from the DWA. If you want one thats no problem as half of them are up for rehoming already!
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »