Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Do marrow bones always smell so bad?!

My neighbour has just brought round a marrow bone for Tonks. Tonks is loving it but i think it stinks!

Do they always smell that bad!!

I've never seen a raw marrow bone before.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 05:49 PM
They usually only smell of raw meat.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 05:58 PM
If it's a sweet sickly smell it's off! They should only smell like a lump of steak!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't know what steak smells like - i'm veggie!

It doesn't smell sweet, just disgusting! She has eaten most of the marrow out of the middle already so it must taste nice - suppose only time will tell whether it is off or not.

Will get bucket ready just incase!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:50 PM
If it smells really bad and has a fair amount of fat on it, it may be off. A fresh marrow bone is quite sweet smelling and not strong. As days go by it can get stronger and "gluey".
I forgot a particularly fatty piece of marrowbone recently and the smell was awful. It almost walked out of the fridge. I slung it in the field away from where the dogs could get it and by next morning it had gone. I think there's a fox in the vicinity with belly ache!
Having said all that, the best tasting beef comes from a piece that has been hung until it's very dark in colour.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
If it smells really bad and has a fair amount of fat on it, it may be off. A fresh marrow bone is quite sweet smelling and not strong. As days go by it can get stronger and "gluey".
I forgot a particularly fatty piece of marrowbone recently and the smell was awful. It almost walked out of the fridge. I slung it in the field away from where the dogs could get it and by next morning it had gone. I think there's a fox in the vicinity with belly ache!
Having said all that, the best tasting beef comes from a piece that has been hung until it's very dark in colour.
The smell seems to have died down a bit now she has eaten all the slimey stuff off the outside. Fingers crossed it was ok! I may give up the bone thing alltogether and buy steralised bones instead.

I tried giving her bones she could eat but she became constipated and pieces of bone were coming out in her poo - once she managed to get it out!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Personally, I wouldn't have given it to her.

Hope the fallout's not too drastic.......
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Slimey stuff??!!! I really don't like the sound of that bone of yours! It's only slimey when they've been gnawing at it, but you say she's eaten all the slimey stuff of it? Personally, I think it was rancid, but then I suppose they like them like that, the smellier the better I hope there's no repercussions the other end for you to clear up!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Slimey stuff??!!! I really don't like the sound of that bone of yours! It's only slimey when they've been gnawing at it, but you say she's eaten all the slimey stuff of it? Personally, I think it was rancid, but then I suppose they like them like that, the smellier the better I hope there's no repercussions the other end for you to clear up!
Oooo nooo what have i done! It was still in the bag from te butchers - it was like slimey blood. She seems fine, but i wonder if i will be cleaning stuff up soon!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm sure she'll be fine. One of my dogs prefers her bones on the 'ripe' side and will bury them, retrieving them once they've had a chance to mature We've had bones unearted after weeks or even months with no ill effects....unless they try to bring them in the house, of course
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >