Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Excess saliva, drooling?

Zeke's on chemotherapy (8 weeks in) and doing really well. No side effects presently, great poos! No sickness, happy and enjoying life.

However, when on his walks he froths and drools sooo much! Not necessarily in hot weather, any time of day and anywhere he goes. It only happens when he's out exercising. He now gets tired when out so on anything more than an hours walk ()we have a little sit down for a rest halfway.

Does anybody know why this is?

Here's a pic of his dirty drool yesterday (it's nearly touching the floor!)
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Alfie drooled also on walks when on his meds and he was never a drooler either.I think it might be the Predneslone (sp)
Zeke is looking great ,Hugs to you all xx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Alfie drooled also on walks when on his meds and he was never a drooler either.I think it might be the Predneslone (sp)
Zeke is looking great ,Hugs to you all xx
Ah right, he is off the prednisolone now, but on 2 other tablets daily...

Thank you, just had him out (finally-he's a lazy lump, didn't want to go earlier!) and he's tired today after the nice longer walk with a friend and her Kita yesterday, bless him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Lucie excess drooling in a breed which doesn't normally drool can be a sign of nausea/sickness.

Maybe the meds Zeke is taking result in an increase of saliva which is not obvious for most of the time but becomes evident on walks when he encounters the the various scents which naturally stimulate a dogs senses including saliva production .

I am pleased to hear Zeke is doing so well
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lucie excess drooling in a breed which doesn't normally drool can be a sign of nausea/sickness.

Maybe the meds Zeke is taking result in an increase of saliva which is not obvious for most of the time but becomes evident on walks when he encounters the the various scents which naturally stimulate a dogs senses including saliva production .

I am pleased to hear Zeke is doing so well
Thank you, yeah it could be either.. leaning more towards the meds/scents on walks, never thought of that. I'm not sure he's nauseas, as he tend to lip smack a lot, which he's not been doing for a while now, when he's feeling a bit delicate (cue anti sickness tablets lol)