Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Your breed

Did you choose your breed(s) on looks first and temperament/personality second; on looks alone; or did the temperament/health of a breed attract you more than looks?

Be honest!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:14 PM
i didn't chose dylan, it was more a case of i had to rescue him rather suddenly so didn't have time to weigh up the pros and cons of having a border collie!

lily i did think seriously about. i did want a small dog, but a small dog that would be confident and not afraid to walk. the temperament and health of jrt's appealed to me as they don't seem to have been messed about with a lot. i love their feisty personality and the fact they make you work hard at being a good dog owner. (a lot like collies actually!)

i had no idea you could get a jrt with lily's colouring so looks didn't even come into it! i've got used to being asked what lily is and the surprise when i say she is a jack.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks attracted me to the Cane Corso and their temperament hooked me . As for health I just looked for a good breeder
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, I dont have a "breed" per se, but If I were to ever buy a dog it would be a st. Poodle, or an Irish Terrier, not chosen for looks really, tho i really like the looks of both dogs, but more the versatility and intelligence of both breeds, and attitude. But I am leaning more towards the IT, as the more I learn about them, the more they match my life. I also really do like terriers (I have 2 terrier mixes currently, had a terrier mix as a kid, and my sis has a Westie.

When taking in a rescue, it's not about looks, personality, or intelligence, it's about who needs me most. It's worked out for me as i have the 4 best dogs ever, tho it takes work to get them there.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:17 PM
As a rescue - looks for me, I chose "the fluffy one eating my shoe laces!" I knew she had collie in her so thought as collies are clever, it would be easy silly me!!! I'd have another collie cross though given the choice again.
Harvey's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:19 PM
After much research we decided to go for a Bullmastiff because of the temperament first, they are such a family dog,We originally got Daisy, she was beautiful, but after 3 weeks she suddenly turned poorly from a seemingly fit and healthy pup, she was coughing up blood and although I rushed her to the vets she died within 7 hrs of pulmonary odema, they thought it may have been lung worm but the results came back negative, so we are still at a loss to know why, she was just too sweet for this world. Any way after meeting Daisy we fell in love with the Mastiffs and knew we would want another one, then along came Harvey who needed a home..........His temperament is fantastic, he has a wonderful character, we love him to bits......and he has mended my broken heart as well.

Here is a pic of my beautiful angel Daisy

Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:20 PM
We had a setter because his owners said they were about to have him PTS......9 months old and absolutely gorgeous. How could I resist?
Then our first collie came because son spent so much time with friend's collie and they assured me they were great family dogs. After having one collie we were hooked. We just couldn't agree on any other breed.
So I guess its because of personality rather than looks, but I love looking at them too. They're all so different.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I can honestly say that it was temperament/personality.

I love the look of just about all breeds, so picking on looks would've been too hard.

Although actually, I'm going to contadict myself slightly, it was the sight of them that first drew my attention - not their shape/size/colour, but watching them work (one man and his dog has a lot to answer for!)

Even my imaginary collie which I had when I was at junior school was all based on loyality and intelligence - he didn't even have an exact look in my mind.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Harvey's Mum View Post

Here is a pic of my beautiful angel Daisy

i'm so sorry. she was a beautiful little girl and that must have been absolutely heartbreaking.

harvey was obviously meant to be and it's wonderful that he has helped to ease your pain.
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:29 PM
choose tux for personality...

talia entirely on looks ..tut tut but wot a girl ...

two great dogs xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »