Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Help on Looking for a dog walker?

I will be starting full time work very soon and I am in need of a trust worthy dog walker,
I have tried Yell.com, google, the local paper, the vets and word of mouth and so far I have got one very good dog walker but im to far away for her and she didn't know of anyone in my area either.

There just seems to be no-one in my area that i think is suitable, I know a lot of people dont agree with the idea of a dog walker but if i want to keep my girls happy n healthy then it has to be done as I know I wont be able to come home n walk them.
Does anyone have any other idea's or even know of someone in my area as im really panicking now especially as with the exception of my dad n stepmum I am the only one in my family with largeish dog experience and my dad works away and my stepmum now works and none of my friends are dog people so I cant even rely on them for help.

Any idea's are gratefully appreciated x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Sorry I can't help Jem, but goodluck and congratulations on the job xxxxxxxx
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Good luck in your new job, hope you find someone in your area who can walk your dog, its hard to find them i know cause we have a dog walker.

Is there any doggy day camps near you where your dog could go.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 08:24 AM
hiya

have you tried at your local vets for recommendation?

good luck
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Good luck in your new job, hope you find someone in your area who can walk your dog, its hard to find them i know cause we have a dog walker.

Is there any doggy day camps near you where your dog could go.
No such luck with doggy camps its not something that we have round here x
I've just rung the vets and they dont know of anyone either *bangs head*
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
No such luck with doggy camps its not something that we have round here x
I've just rung the vets and they dont know of anyone either *bangs head*
I just found this site dont know if it will be any use to u its www.nationalpetregister.org

There is loads of dog walking services in lots of areas but not sure what Cleethorpes comes under.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I was gonna say look at the vets or pet shops/country stores usually have loads advertised.

Ebay bizarrely if you look under local services you can find them
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:10 AM
After ringing what seems to be the whole of cleethorpes I MAY have found one,
He's a retired dog trainer and owns a giant schnauzer (sp) and a gsd so atleast he has experience of large dogs which puts my mind at rest on that front,
He's going to ring me later and have a chat but what shall I ask him?
I know he should be crb checked but is there anything else?x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
After ringing what seems to be the whole of cleethorpes I MAY have found one,
He's a retired dog trainer and owns a giant schnauzer (sp) and a gsd so atleast he has experience of large dogs which puts my mind at rest on that front,
He's going to ring me later and have a chat but what shall I ask him?
I know he should be crb checked but is there anything else?x
He doesn't need to be CRB checked, but he does need dog walkers insurance. If he's going to have your keys he also should have the insurance that covers him for holding keys, then you are covered if he accidentally looses them etc.
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2014, 11:34 PM
I have been a dog walker for nearly 15 years now. I have dog walking insurance - public liability, accidents to dogs, key loss etc. - never had CRB but am recommended by my local vet and word of mouth. The one thing that I would remind anyone who walks dogs and gets paid for it is that if you transport any of those dogs in your vehicle you MUST have car/van insurance for business purposes. If you don't have business insurance on your vehicle and are stopped by the police for any reason and say you are a dog walker and have clients' dogs in your vehicle, you will be in real trouble! It is something that often gets overlooked, but it is really important.

It is a very rewarding career, and I wouldn't do anything else. Some of the dogs I walk were puppies when I first met them and I used to have to help them into my van because they were too small to jump in by themselves. Now I find I am having to help them into the van because they are too old to jump in by themselves!

If you are looking for a dog walker, I think that first meeting is the most important. Go off your gut instincts and the way your dog reacts to the prospective dog walker. Ask them for telephone numbers of other people they are walking dogs for so you can speak to them and ask other dog owners if they have heard of them. Ask lots of questions and watch how they interact with your dog. If you have any qualms, don't go with them. Ask if you can walk with them when they do a dog walk, see what they are like when out with other dogs. I always insist that the owner brings their dog out with me when I do a dog walk so that I can see how the dog behaves before I take them on. If you feel comfortable with the prospective dog walker, be honest with them and tell them everything about your dog - all the little quirks he/she has i.e. hates joggers/children/other dogs etc. It's very important that the dog walker knows all about your dog. Make sure they have all your phone numbers so they can contact you in case of emergency. Also give them the name and telephone number of your vet, so in the event of illness or injury the dog walker can get them to your vet quickly.

As I say, dog walking is a wonderful career, but it is not for the faint-hearted - snow, gales, ice, hail and rain (sometimes all in one day!) can really get you down, but then again you do get the benefit of lovely warm summer days as well!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >