Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mugs
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2011, 10:48 PM

17 year old with burst cyst

Hello,
I was hoping to get some advice on an issue with my 17 year old mixed breed. He had a large mass on the back of his neck and it didn't seem to be bothering him. And I know that older dogs tend to get fatty cysts so I didn't want to stress him by bringing him to the vet for it. Well, the "cyst" popped. The fluid was bloody. I'm not sure what this is and would hate to take him in to the vet because of his age. Any ideas, suggestions?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
Hello,
I was hoping to get some advice on an issue with my 17 year old mixed breed. He had a large mass on the back of his neck and it didn't seem to be bothering him. And I know that older dogs tend to get fatty cysts so I didn't want to stress him by bringing him to the vet for it. Well, the "cyst" popped. The fluid was bloody. I'm not sure what this is and would hate to take him in to the vet because of his age. Any ideas, suggestions?
hi

firstly i would clip the fur away and clean it!

secondly...why are you worried to go to the vets? your dog has a problem and hiding from the vet will not change that
(the vet is their to help your dog!)

it could be a lot of different things,but it does sound like it could be an abscess.whatever it is does sound like it could be infected and your lad will need treatment(abs) and possibly pain relief too!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Tupacs2legs is correct - there may be an infection there that needs antibiotics. Please take your dog to the vets.