Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:33 PM

18 week old HWV, best Skinners food...

I feed my dogs Skinners food. Sika is now 18 weeks, coming up for 19 weeks. She is on Skinners puppy at the moment. I need to order her food as nowhere here stocks it. Should I order another bag of the puppy food or would it be better to put her on an adult food? I know that dogs like her who gorw very quickly can benefit from being put on adult food earlier but I was wondering if it was too early? If she should go onto adult food, what kind of protein levels should I be looking for? Skinners do both low and high protein food. Thanks
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I feed my dogs Skinners food. Sika is now 18 weeks, coming up for 19 weeks. She is on Skinners puppy at the moment. I need to order her food as nowhere here stocks it. Should I order another bag of the puppy food or would it be better to put her on an adult food? I know that dogs like her who gorw very quickly can benefit from being put on adult food earlier but I was wondering if it was too early? If she should go onto adult food, what kind of protein levels should I be looking for? Skinners do both low and high protein food. Thanks
Sorry don't have an experience with your breed, but have you checked the feeding guidelines on the packaging? Normally it would say the size of the dog and at what age to change to adult food.
I know some breeders that feed the pups adult food mixed with water as soon as they can take solids, but also some that stick to puppy food until 6 months +.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi

I put my Slovak onto Skinners Duck and Rice when she hit 6months.

I wouldn't have thought you will have any problems by putting your pup onto adult. I know quite a few people that have never fed their dogs puppy food and the dogs developed just fine.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
All the larger breeds should go to an adult or ALS food at 4-5 months to slow growth and allow the joints to develop under less stress. For the same reason, keep him lean. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

Go ahead and order the adult now. Check the calcium levels, by analysis, not minimum. It must be less than 1.5%. Make a gradual switch. I started our Raven several days ago at 16 weeks. She is now at 1 to 1.

Don't trust what it says on dog food bags. Puppy chow is all about fast growth and good profits, neither in the best interest of you and your dog.
dolby
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
All the larger breeds should go to an adult or ALS food at 4-5 months to slow growth and allow the joints to develop under less stress.
Sorry, may be being thick here, but what is 'ALS' food?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by dolby View Post
Sorry, may be being thick here, but what is 'ALS' food?
All Life Stages. Means it can be fed to dogs of all ages.
dolby
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks !!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks all, much appreciated. Duck and rice is ordered