Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t help feeling that this totally illogical test is for the benefit of their insurance. All it tests is the dogs` experience of humans. No dog is born bad.

Anyone who has taken a dog in from kennels has seen how behaviour changes with the surroundings.
Well of COURSE insurance has a part to play in these situations. Just as it does in ALL activities.

Businesses cannot be insured unless they meet certain criteria otherwise they would go out of business and therefore be unable to rehome ANY dogs at all.

They also have a duty of care not ONLY to the animals in their control but their employees and those affected by their actions or omissions ie future owners.

One or two claims could put them out of business.

This is just basic business sense.

As for the statement "no dog is born bad" I am afraid dogs, like humans can be born with or develop mental illnesses etc which make them dangerous.

And it is just BECAUSE the behaviour of dogs moved from kennels to home changes that great care has to be taken, as that behaviour can change for the WORSE just as it can for the BETTER.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But then I have not yet discoveredm, on this forum, ANY behaviourist/trainer/scheme that you ARE impressed with Brierley.
I tend to speak as I find and give opinions based on that. As with most things, some I am impressed with others not
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I tend to speak as I find and give opinions based on that. As with most things, some I am impressed with others not
Same as me then
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I wonder if that the two impressions are down to the differing perspectives, skills, knowledge, training and experience of the delegates? Could be.
As I say, there was a huge furore, and there were plenty of really good knowledgeable people on BOTH sides... all people who worked with problem dogs and were successful, for example.

Just people who had a different viewpoint.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Went to one of her workshops in Sheffield. Was totally unimpressed with the assessing system which was both illogical and unrealistic.

I was less than impressed when she advised that she wouldn't tell a prospective owner about a fairly obvious (when you know what to look for) HD problem if she deemed the dog to have passed her tests.

I think the most worrying thing I saw that day was the rescue workers attending who were hanging on her every word and buying equipment to allow them to carry out the tests themselves
Yes and I believe this was because her methods at that time had been promoted as being the best thing since sliced bread.

As the standard to which all others should be measured, kind of thing.

Very worrying, I agree. Some of the info that filtered down afterwards was worrying too.

Wys
x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
For the record brierly

i too found quite a few wood green workers hanging onto her every word a bit like an idol thing....but wood green are known in the rescue world as having the most hardline euthanasia and/or assessment approach.

howeve rother rescue workers (like me and some battersea guys) were much more objective and questioning
Battersea were the ones involved with the dog I saw. I think possibly that he had shown other behaviours to them which were more threatening than anything we saw at the seminar.

I have on occassion looked at a dog in kennels and said that it will bite and have been put through the wringer for saying so. On every occassion I have been right. I have also on occassion when doing behaviour programmes said that IMO a dog should be pts BUT as the rescue is a no kill one then if they feel they want to keep it here are my suggestions on a programme that they could follow.

It isn't nice to know that you are responsible for a dog dying but I have always been willing to take the dog myself to be pts if I am that convinced that it is the right thing to do.I did feel awful that the one time I was bitten(by a gsd), that the dog was pts the next day. Having said that, after he bit me the staff found it impossible to move him from the public are into a kennel and had to sedate him in situ and call the vet out.

Every excuse in the book could be made for him---he was a GSD, he was stressed, he had been left by the owner he adored (who wanted him rehomed because he was threatening his family), he shouldn't have been put in a position where he could bite----etc etc. The fact remains that he did bite and he would have done it again.

It happens----doesn't matter why the dog is doing it there aren't enough homes willing to sign a waiver and take a potentially dangerous animal on.

rune
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 02:54 PM
All mine (except Mojo) have had assessments using this same thing, except it had a sleeve on and built to look like an arm, all never bothered, infact Tess licked the glove
It is done for insurance purposes obviously so the Fostering agency can say they have been assessed to cover thier backs.
IMO it doesn't tell you that a dog will never snap if someone pops thier hand in a bowl, after all they maybe having a bad day
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
As I say, there was a huge furore, and there were plenty of really good knowledgeable people on BOTH sides... all people who worked with problem dogs and were successful, for example.

Just people who had a different viewpoint.

Wys
x
It is one thing working with a problem dog within its family and quite another being able to rehab a dog in a rescue situation where handlers change and nothing is standard and time is at a premium.

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

for the record i went to the first yr SS was in the UK at wood green
i found the system and tests lacking and of a nature that could create behaviour probs.
she did not factor into kennel stress nor cultural differences between the UK and USA situations.
she couldnt cope with difficult challenging questions either
i took her away her tests and altered them
Hey, I remember that now - yes, she DID appear to avoid difficult questions!

I asked her why she thought one dog labelled a food guarder was "dominant" and had a hard eye. The eyes were soft, and she had simply stood up on her hind legs to get a cuddle from her kennel worker.

When she spoke to the kennel worker about it, he was very "well we haven't noticed" kind of thing - clearly not wanting to be rude, but at the same time, not agreeing.

She told me she'd come back to that - but she never did.

Probably because the dog was not any of those things...

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 03:02 PM
For the record brierly

i too found quite a few wood green workers hanging onto her every word a bit like an idol thing....but wood green are known in the rescue world as having the most hardline euthanasia and/or assessment approach.

howeve rother rescue workers (like me and some battersea guys) were much more objective and questioning
It's always good to be questioning, over anything, not just dog stuff

I went to a dog assessment talk by the head behaviourist at WG a few months ago. It was very interesting as it was mainly about the dogs coming into the UK from Europe (mastiffy types) and she talked about how they'd had several dogs show aggression after being adopted.

We had to listen to her talk about how she tried to get a large dog with a strong bite off of a kennel assistant. It was very harrowing. Also hear about a child who ended up with I think she said 200 stitches. This was because the person trying to rescue the child had unfortunatley tried to move it out from between the hind legs of the dog, who was stood over it - big mistake

They've got a very strict system now, it was a very interesting talk. They use the assess a hand etc but I suspect it's moved on quite a bit from the original, at least I hope so.

Wys
x

PS I still have the info you sent me on the SS workshop you saw, have never chucked it
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »