Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I had never heard of training disks, so thanks for the link. Doesn't sound like something I would ever use. My dog had to be pulled from a clicker class because she was so afraid of the clicking sound she just shut down, with all that clicking all round her. I can see how these disks in a class setting would be disasterous and why the APDT would ban their use.
First off all You're point about the clicker proves that not a single tool is good for all dogs.
So why ban a tool that, in my vue, is quiet innocent?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
...The average trainers age is closer to 60 than 30 so totally not macho....
That made me chuckle

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by topbarks View Post
...I have four rescues and have the most wonderful relationship with them. Three are working cockers with strong working instincts who some may find difficult.
For me a strong relationship has to be built on trust and it is whether you take the risk of compromising that trust?
If you want a dog to do something, make it worth their while, and if you want your dog to like you, make interacting with you pleasant, not unpleasant. If you don't like a behaviour, make some other behaviour in its place more worth their while, while making the problem behaviour less effective.Aversives can result in aggression, emotionality, disempowerment and other difficult to predict problems. This IMO cannot influence your training positively.
Good post there Topbarks and I agree very much with the last paragraph

Wys
x
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
That made me chuckle

Wys
x
When we're training and we train 1 dog at a time, often we have more than 200 years of dogtraining experience on the field
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by topbarks View Post
.Aversives can result in aggression, emotionality, disempowerment and other difficult to predict problems. This IMO cannot influence your training positively.
Any training method I have used has been endorsed by the charity I volunteer for. They know what I do and how I do it, I have a brilliant relationship with my own dog and have had excellent relationships with the foster dogs I've had.

So, thanks for the advice, but TBH I don't have any problems with training

I think the original point I was making is that time and time again I've seen it said on Dogsey 'People use (insert clicker, training disc, spray collar, check chain etc) wrong'. Yes, some people get it wrong. People get things wrong every day. It doesn't mean these things don't work or are not successful in some situations.

I would never use a shock collar. But I have used a spray collar. I would never use a check chain (just because I don't like them) but I wouldn't take it on myself to tell someone not to use one just because I don't like it.

I understand now why training discs are not a good idea in a class situation, but I still think they have their uses.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
I agree with you Johan. These accusations are so typical of people who don't know what we do. Nobody but club members know what my dogs do because they are the models of the sweet friendly behavior. My club, like yours is not a hangout of young men trying to prove something. It is a social group of middle agers and some retirees. I happen to be one of the youngest there. I've never had someone suggest that my chess playing, endurance running or science research was particularly "macho"

The Macho suggestion (I believe) has come from the idea that using methods such as e-collars is the only way to train these 'extreme' dogs.

As you have pointed out yourself...these methods are not nesercary....so why do people continue to use them...

Either they truely see nothing wrong with controlling a dog through electiric shocks or they do it becasue they are ignorant or closed minded to other methods.
topbarks
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Any training method I have used has been endorsed by the charity I volunteer for. They know what I do and how I do it, I have a brilliant relationship with my own dog and have had excellent relationships with the foster dogs I've had.

So, thanks for the advice, but TBH I don't have any problems with training

I think the original point I was making is that time and time again I've seen it said on Dogsey 'People use (insert clicker, training disc, spray collar, check chain etc) wrong'. Yes, some people get it wrong. People get things wrong every day. It doesn't mean these things don't work or are not successful in some situations.

I would never use a shock collar. But I have used a spray collar. I would never use a check chain (just because I don't like them) but I wouldn't take it on myself to tell someone not to use one just because I don't like it.

I understand now why training discs are not a good idea in a class situation, but I still think they have their uses.

I wasn't implying you did need help with your training or giving you any advice with regard to what methods you should or should not employ, I was just stating my point of view.
I think you have to work using methods that sit well with you personally as a trainer and that obviously differs amongst us.
The problem with any aversive is the potential for the dog to make links and associations other than what was intended.
I'm not saying aversives don't work but my worry is what happens when they don't? You have to look for another aversive to correct the behaviour.
Why not just train an alternative desireable response?
One of my lot kept licking plates in the dishwasher, my response was to teach him to lie down next to the dishwasher when the door was opened as the cue. I taught this once, reinforce it every time and have never needed to use an aversive which may or may not have worked to stop this behaviour.
Billy1111
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I'd be interested Janie

Our foster dog is fear aggressive with people because she has been badly abused. She came to us on Thursday last week. What I'm doing is, whenever a man comes to our house or we see a fellow dog walker, I give him a biscuit to give to her.

Yesterday, she met two new men and didn't cower or growl at all. Result! So, in that case positive is the only way to go IMO. The lady who runs the Freedom Projet did a home visit on Wednesday and said Boo is a different dog to the one she dropped off 6 days ago
hey just a sugesstion .

great thing to hear , it good when a dog moves forward.
positive reward is a great thing ,but be very carefull that you are not rewarding the fear, done incorectly this can happen.

Its hard to explain what i mean , but if a dog acts in fearfull manner rewarding that fear can result in excessive fear build up.

I would suggest to try and get you dog to work for the treat , by adding a slight mental stimuls to this technique , it will require you dog to actually interact with the men.
Rather than just recieving the treat.

You could get a man (if he has time to sit on floor) and place treat under hand ,letting your dog sniff treat out , and find treat encourging fun interaction.has to be done with a non confronational aproach , using both your body lanauge and positive reward .
Hope this makes good sense .
keep up the fabulous work
topbarks
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm wary about giving treats to people to give to a reactive dog to start with as I do not want to put the dog in a state of conflict where it wants the treat but is unsure about going to get it.
I have seen this make some dogs much worse as they can't deal with going towards the scary person.
I prefer for the handler to feed the dog really high value stuff and progress from there at the dogs pace.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
not aimed at sarah as i am sure she knows what she is doing with the dog
but i have seen great results with teaching a dog to target something then return for a treat
for example an outstreached hand could be the cue for a nose target, so the dog only has to interact with the hand and not the whole person, and the people have to be told not to interact with the dog just let it target

having said that at the weekend i met a dog who was v people shy and had been taught by getting treats off strangers, it cuddled me to death, fear gone
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >