Higher norms
Do a search on NVBK
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
yes i do, but then again i don't train pets
No you train dogs, with extreme methods...

Does that mean pet dogs feel more pain them your competition dogs
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Any devise can be misused. Even a clicker
And i don't use an e-collar on a puppy
Any device can be misused, but if something is made to cause punishment or pain and if it was bought for that, it's more likely to be used in a punitive manner than not

Wys
x
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No you train dogs, with extreme methods...

Does that mean pet dogs feel more pain them your competition dogs
They are probably less pain resistance yes
and not all dogs i train are competition dogs
Last year i trained 3 army dogs (for a foreign country) and 7 ppd's for people in high risk environments
And my methods aren't extreme. If you call them extreme you should go and look in other environments there are way harder methods possible.
Meg
Supervisor

10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
yes i do, but then again i don't train pets
Johan perhaps you should take that into consideration when commenting on the methods people are using to train their pet dogs and appreciate not everyone is interested in pursuing the kind of activities you choose to undertake with your dogs which frequently seems to involve heavy handed training methods and training devices.

If if is necessary to use these extreme methods in order to train dogs to pursue these activities I would not wish to take part in them, I am not 'into' torturing dogs .
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I looked at your site, and it seems to me that it is fundentally for sport and competition.

I still cannot understand how a sport dog feels less pain than a pet dog, so what is the difference? Surely you can train a GSD to do the things I have seen on your page, without the use of e collars and such?

I really cannot see the difference in training methodology would bring about any different results? How can an e collar bring about a better trained dog?

Elaine
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Johan perhaps you should take that into consideration when commenting on the methods people are using to train their pet dogs and appreciate not everyone is interested in pursuing the kind of activities you choose to undertake with your dogs which frequently seems to involve heavy handed training methods and training devices. .
I just asked a question about the training disks as they are listed as a "wrong" devise. The only answer i got was that it may cause problems with sound sensitive dogs. To my knowledge there is no devise that suits 100% of the training needs and dogs
Furthermore the perception you seem to have on my training methods is perverted by you're wrong idea of an e-collar.
Training is 99% praise and 1% correction ( dixit my grandfather and he was a great trainer)
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I looked at your site, and it seems to me that it is fundentally for sport and competition.

I still cannot understand how a sport dog feels less pain than a pet dog, so what is the difference? Surely you can train a GSD to do the things I have seen on your page, without the use of e collars and such?

I really cannot see the difference in training methodology would bring about any different results? How can an e collar bring about a better trained dog?

Elaine
First of all in about a century only 1 gsd has got a significant result in the sport. They can't cope with the stresses mentally and physically put on the dog.
The E-collar is used to get trough the drives when the dog is all fired up so that he listens to the handlers commands. The strength of the stimulus depends on the dog and the weather and environmental conditions. The idea is to get a setting that is just high enough so that the dog gets the message. Some dogs it is setting 1 and for some it is 3 or 4.
Meg
Supervisor

10-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed
I just asked a question about the training disks as they are listed as a "wrong" devise. The only answer i got was that it may cause problems with sound sensitive dogs. To my knowledge there is no devise that suits 100% of the training needs and dogs
Furthermore the perception you seem to have on my training methods is perverted by you're wrong idea of an e-collar.
Training is 99% praise and 1% correction my grandfather and he was a great trainer)
Johan, yet again you are missing the point, you are the only person to use the word 'wrong' and the answer you got from me was..

'' they (the APDT) do not need or wish to use the 'training aids' and methods listed in my post above''they use other methods of training.',

As for your point that 'training is 99% praise and 1% correction' , that 1 correction could be beating a dog until is is black and blue then praising it 99 times , most of us here would find that unacceptable.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 11:50 AM
First of all in about a century only 1 gsd has got a significant result in the sport. They can't cope with the stresses mentally and physically put on the dog.
The E-collar is used to get trough the drives when the dog is all fired up so that he listens to the handlers commands. The strength of the stimulus depends on the dog and the weather and environmental conditions. The idea is to get a setting that is just high enough so that the dog gets the message. Some dogs it is setting 1 and for some it is 3 or 4.
I'm confused now if they can't cope with the stresses mentally and physically then why put them through it. The dogs on your site are GSD's arent they? or am I wrong. or missing the point entirely
Elaine
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »