Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Our agility shinanigans today!

Today we were at a club agility show in East Kilbride. It was in a barn and it was very cold, however it was dry and sunny outside which makes a change from the last time when it was tipping it down all day!

Roxy tried really hard today while Molly dilly-dallied along looking like she'd never seen an agility course in her life.

To be fair though, we haven't had any training for almost a year and the ground in the barn was that horrible soft horse arena chips - you know the stuff i'm talking about! And also the fact that her owner is a numpty at times! However, I did manage to go the right way on most of the classes, which is good for me!

Roxy decided she would stop for a tiddle in the middle of the ring, which got us disqualified. Then, when running Molly in the same course, she did the same - almost at the same place where Roxy did hers. Oh, and Roxy decided she would jump on and over the tunnel - twice - and not go through it. I despair at times, I really do.

We've found a really good agility club - the one that was holding the show today, which was very well organised - and hope to get to the training once the weather decides to be kind to us! So far, the weather has been miserable and training outdoors at the park has had to be put off recently. Not to worry, it's more or less the spring now so the weather has to improve. I hope!

All in all, it was a great day and we all really enjoyed ourselves. It was nice to meet new like-minded people aswell, and their dogs.

The dogs even got treated to some lovely liver cake, made with organic liver and some garlic and cheese cookies all made by hand - which they absolutely love!

Me? I have just scoffed a Cadbury's "Egghead" Easter egg and am ready for my bed! Note to self - must get fitter (and improve agility handling!).

Ah, the joys!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a brilliant time, Nicola, even if there were a couple of setbacks!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 09:01 PM
It was good fun, Vicki. Good for me and the dogs. I enjoyed watching all the other dogs do their stuff and you do get a laugh at times!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Sound like you had fun, your weather sounded better than what we had, at one stage they had to stop the outside jumping as the wind was blowing the jumps down

I love watching all the other dogs, you can learn so much from others as well, even if it's how not to do something

Bet you can't wait to start training again
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Sound like you had fun, your weather sounded better than what we had, at one stage they had to stop the outside jumping as the wind was blowing the jumps down

I love watching all the other dogs, you can learn so much from others as well, even if it's how not to do something

Bet you can't wait to start training again
It wasn't windy here today, for a change! The rain is on now after it's been a really nice day. Knew it wouldn't last!

You definitely can pick up tips from other runners, as well as pick up bad habits! I have a few which I aim to get rid of once we start training again! I'm determined to learn good ones!
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Sounds like you had a fun day Nicola . Trust the dogs to show you up like that though. Never mind , better luck next time. Missy says thanks for the Kelties you sent her . When is your next show ? I'd love to come along and give you some support. I'm at a loose end now as my boyfriend just dumped me on Tuesday . I need things to do and places to go to stop me thinking about him .
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Suzanne,

Sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend. Never mind about him now! Chin up and move on! You have wee Missy to keep you going.

I know....the wee rascals did show me up today! Never mind, we had fun and that's what it's all about!

During one of our runs Roxy stopped, put her ears back, looked at the judge, lifted one paw up and wagged her tail, I thought she was going to do a runner and pay the judge a wee impromptu visit! It was quite funny. Managed to stop her in time though, the wee menace!

I bought two bags of Kelties at Crufts, one for my mutts and one for Missy, mine were all broken up! Were yours? Ah well, they don't care, it's all food to them and the wee bits can be used for training!

We're not "religious" agility showers, well not at the moment! We just do the local shows and try and enjoy them, so our next one is not until May at SKC which I know you will be coming to! It will be nice to see you again, shame Missy can't come!

May not be wise going to SKC with my monsters, but hopefully we'll have had some training by then and it'll show! You've got to try, eh.

Take care.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Nicola . Yes , Missy's Kelties were all broken up too . I assumed it happened in the post but not if yours were too. Like you say , the wee bits are handy training treats. It was funny when I opened the parcel. Missy knew straight away what it was , her wee tail was going round in circles so fast I thought she was going to take off . Roxy sounds like a real character in the agility ring , I'm looking forward to seeing her run. May it is then , do you know what dates the show is on ? I usually try to go every day.