View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daveydw
New Member!

27-06-2006, 06:57 PM

sleep in eyes flakey red inner ears

can any one help my two staffies have sleep in there eyes in the morning and have both had an ear problem where it is redish and dry on the inside of the ear it cleared up after a few days but has now returned to one of my dogs ears any ideas would be helpful
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Not sure about the ears, but recommend bathing the eye in warm water using a very soft cloth. Most dogs get a certain amount of "sleep" in their eyes - I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about, but if you are worried, nip to the vets or phone them. Good luck.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 07:40 PM
hi yeah i wouldnt worry about the eyes unless the discharge is green/yellow as this can be a sign of infection as for the ears have they been treated by a vet? sometimes dogs can get a build up of wax which causes an infection if untreated it causes the ear canals to become thickened eventually the ear canals close up! sorry if this sounds drastic but ear problems do need early treatment to prevent damage in later life
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Daveydw regarding the eyes, you can make up a mild saline solution (which is a similar composition to tears) and use this to moisten a piece of cotton wool with which to wipe the eyes each day. To make the saline add a teaspoon of salt to a pint of boiled water.

I would get the ears checked by the vet, they should be clean and moist inside with no redness or build up of wax. Redness and dry patches in the ears could be caused by a number of conditions like eczema or mites and it is not wise to put anything in ears unless instructed to do so for a vet because different conditions have specific medications and applying the wrong one can make a condition worse.