Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alex74
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Age of visiting pups

We got our pup a couple of years ago now, we visit him when he was 8weeks of age and ready to go. Have decided to get another addition to the family and went to view the pups, however eyes werent even openned they were tiny! We then found out that the mums hip scored was 60!! breed standard is 19 (I think)!

I didnt think that pups could be viewed so early, my partner made the appointment and he thought they were 5 weeks of age, 4 had already been reserved! I said how can we make a decsion I cant see their personalitys?

Found it very strange!

alex x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I would walk away, mainly because of that hip score! But also, I wouldn't let people visit my pups that young if I had any, Mum could be distressed and not show her true personality and pups are surely more vulnerable to infection at that age?
alex74
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 12:36 PM
thats what I thought! I said that we had to leave and didnt want a pup as I cant tell what they are like, she said that they are strong dogs when I said about infections! plus I wasnt happy with her breeding mum with that hip score, but they were kc reg so not sure how they are allowed to do that, as I thought it had to be under 19? they are GSDs

Alex x
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by alex74 View Post
thats what I thought! I said that we had to leave and didnt want a pup as I cant tell what they are like, she said that they are strong dogs when I said about infections! plus I wasnt happy with her breeding mum with that hip score, but they were kc reg so not sure how they are allowed to do that, as I thought it had to be under 19? they are GSDs

Alex x
Run a mile. Apalling that someone can breed from a dog with a hipscore of 60!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:53 PM
why on earth did they do the hipscores and breed anyway .....£££££££ grrrrrrrr

btw kc reg means nowt!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I let people visit from about 3 weeks but not handle the pups and they have to leave their shoes off and wash their hands with antibacterial soap.
To be honest I've had someone come when the pups were 2 week old they had already paid a deposit and were passing near (they lived in the Scottish highlands).
Having said that it does depend on the mum this was Bronwyn and she loves to show off her pups had it been Lib think they'd have had to wait.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 01:49 PM
With regards to been reserved so young, theres nothing strange in that most of mine are sold before there born. The hipscores would put me off though.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Run a mile. Apalling that someone can breed from a dog with a hipscore of 60!
Absolutely agree with this! Who is this breeder?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
With regards to been reserved so young, theres nothing strange in that most of mine are sold before there born. The hipscores would put me off though.
It is usually the sign of a good breeder to have pups reserved so young - obviously not in this case
alex74
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Im not happy with pupsbeing sold so young, how can you accept a deposit before they are born? that doesnt seem right to me, I know people have waiting lists, but I thought that meant that they visit at 4-5weeks and pick a pup on personality, maybe Im wrong, but I want a pup that I can see running about and get to know, not a pup that is asleep or not born yet!

I dont know if Im allowed to say her name? dont raelly want to get anyone into trouble??

I was shocked as if they are kc reg they are letting her breed with that hip score? Didnt seem right to me, we are viewing a litter of 6 week olds on wed, a long hair black boy, so happy they are brought up indoors and mums hips are 3-6! So alot better lol!

Alex x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >