Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
I agree with a 100%.

It may be banned here, but somehow it's still been done with pet and show dogs.
In USA and I believe in Australia they still crop Briards EARS and then glue the together to make them stand up. Thankfully France where the Briard originally comes from the practice has now been banned.
It's something I find hard to understand why anyone would want to cut a dogs ears.
I`m not sure there are many show dogs still being docked, there is not much point , as you wont be able to show them, at a show where the public have to pay to get in.

Some dual purpose gundogs may still be docked, but again they will have restricted access to shows, if there is a paying public.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
I would like to ask our members what they think of the practice of docking dogs tails.

My own conception of this dubious practice is that it is historic for some inconceivable reason and continued to this very day for purely cosmetic purposes.

If Mother Nature gave dogs a tail, it was for a very good reason. A dogs tail is allied to balance and information transfer to other animals.

To chop off a dogs tail for cosmetic, aesthetic or personal reasons is paramount to cruelty to animals and should be a criminal prosecution matter.

If the tail is subject to problems such as damage due to "happy" tail or the dog biting it then OK some kind of limited amputation is justifried.

I am not concerned with fighting dogs, since that disgusting practice should have been outlawed decades ago and the persons involved jailed for a very long time.

But for people whoever they are to chop a dogs tail off just because it is a Rottweiler, Dobermann or Boxer etc, for aesthetic, cosmetic or historic reasons is a barbaric and utterly selfish practice that under present day attitudes and legislation should be banned.

I have unfortunately come across people who have their dogs tails chopped off simply because THEY like the dog that way. People like that should be banned from owning a dog.

I would appreciate your comments on this matter
John Bull
Wholeheartedly agree with you. I am 100% against talk docking. I think it's barbaric.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Both of mine still have their tails, they are just docked.

And I agree, the law makes no sense, when dockign has been made illegal, yet taking of dew claws is still very much a practice.. and if the thruth be told, far more painful than docking a puppies tail
Haha! I wish mine who have FULL tails could have been docked - I would have a lot less bruises!!!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Both of mine still have their tails, they are just docked.

And I agree, the law makes no sense, when dockign has been made illegal, yet taking of dew claws is still very much a practice.. and if the thruth be told, far more painful than docking a puppies tail
they are both painfull
you cant hear,you cant see,
you can smell,and you can feel
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Have you ever seen a puppy's tail be docked before?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by bingowings View Post
Have you ever seen a puppy's tail be docked before?
me ?? yes
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
I agree with a 100%.

It may be banned here, but somehow it's still been done with pet and show dogs.

In USA and I believe in Australia they still crop Briards EARS and then glue the together to make them stand up. Thankfully France where the Briard originally comes from the practice has now been banned.
It's something I find hard to understand why anyone would want to cut a dogs ears.
i hate cropped ears in any breed, but especially with briards. it just doesnt look right at all, much prefer the natural look. plus, its just so cruel... but i think docking is too.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:16 AM
My boy had his tail off but not his dew claws (his breeder raw fed and said they need them to hang onto carcasses etc whilst feeding). I personally think that dobes look better docked thats my personal preference. But would i buy a puppy from ireland just cause it is docked? No. If i was in a position to have another one in the near future I would take on a rescue that was docked. In the future if thre was a line that was producing straight tails I might have a puppy. Failing that I wont have another B&T.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I am completely against docking, also hate ear cropping and dew claw removal.... my own theory being they are born with a tail for a reason.... a friend of mine purposely hunted down a cocker spaniel without a tail because she thought they looked odd with them I didn't ask where she got him from, somewhere in Norfolk was all I know and want to know... He is a good looking boy, but I like them with the tails too!! He is a pet, not a worker and he is not from working lines either, can tell by looking at his shape and coat...
My own breeds English setters and Pointer do not need to be docked for working purposes as of the work they do in the field... would I have one if they needed docking... no! I would hope to find a breeder that would leave my puppies tail where it belongs!!
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
My boy had his tail off but not his dew claws (his breeder raw fed and said they need them to hang onto carcasses etc whilst feeding). I personally think that dobes look better docked thats my personal preference. But would i buy a puppy from ireland just cause it is docked? No. If i was in a position to have another one in the near future I would take on a rescue that was docked. In the future if thre was a line that was producing straight tails I might have a puppy. Failing that I wont have another B&T.
Dew claws are located on the rear legs. Mine still have their foreclaws which helps when they tear into rabbits and large bones!
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »