Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by lakeland_lass View Post
Surly this is worse for the dogs picking up on the emotions of there owners in turn having an impact on there behaviours?

I know this won't go down well but all to often dogs get treated like humans and there not they are dogs. Would you let your six yr old child not go to school if he wasen't keen on it or not visit Tesco coz he didn't want to?????? I think not, parents make there children face there fears to make them grow into well balanced adults with a rounded experiance of life. I understand yes some dogs don't like kennels but i'm sure thats the owners doing not the dogs thoughts.
It would be intresting to see how the dogs whose owners say they don't like kennels would react if a 3rd party dropped them off?
I certainly don't treat my dogs like humans, but they most definitely are part of the family and when I go on holiday I take them too. I wouldn't actually enjoy a holiday without them. If I do go somewhere where I can only take one or two (I have four) then I leave the others at home with my hubby and know they are happy, well cared for and exercised.

My biggest problem with leaving my dogs in commercial boarding kennels would be the lack of stimulation and exercise. My dogs are used to lots of freedom, play and exercise daily and, even with the best will in the world, a boarding kennels just could not provide that.
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
Surely that's a bit of a contradiction? You are comparing kids to dogs!
Yes in a way i'm am and no i don't think its a bit of a contradiction. If you cried dropping your kids off at school they would wonder why mummy was upset and in turn make them upset - in the same way as dogs react to there owners emotions when dropping off at kennels.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I certainly don't treat my dogs like humans, but they most definitely are part of the family and when I go on holiday I take them too. I wouldn't actually enjoy a holiday without them. If I do go somewhere where I can only take one or two (I have four) then I leave the others at home with my hubby and know they are happy, well cared for and exercised.

My biggest problem with leaving my dogs in commercial boarding kennels would be the lack of stimulation and exercise. My dogs are used to lots of freedom, play and exercise daily and, even with the best will in the world, a boarding kennels just could not provide that.
My dog Barney is a part of my family and he is def not treated as a human but is loved just as an much as any of the humans in the famliy sometimes even more. Barney comes on holiday as well (but can understand not being able to take all 4 of yours). But if he needed kenneling he would go in to a good kennel (only had him 5/6 months and not need to do yet).

Kennels are hard, in my opinion i serched for the best of the best kennels for my last dog Jess. We travelled over 40 miles to kennel her but it was a small family run kennel and they treated my dog like there dog she got 3 walks a day each were 30 mins or more and a free run area they also only boarded 10 dogs at a time. The service was impecable as they didn't over load themselves with dogs.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Sounds bloody marvellous. I am jealous! 'Tis gorgeous weather here today though too
managed a little video clip of one otter today in the same place so i definately will be back in the next day or so with the good camera.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
managed a little video clip of one otter today in the same place so i definately will be back in the next day or so with the good camera.
Excellent, as I can't watch video clips Have you ever seen a wildcat Phil?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Not in the wild no. There seems to be a wildcat conservation awareness thing going on up here at the moment.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Surly this is worse for the dogs picking up on the emotions of there owners in turn having an impact on there behaviours?
Yes the dog's pick up on it this is why we dont allow owners to go any further than reception most of the time (on the very rare occasion we will let them into the kennel block), just because the dog's take longer to settle down when the owners take them to their kennel. And Kennel's isnt for everyone which up to them! And like everything else you get good one's and bad ones!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Kennel time - don't you feel happy !

Had a fab holiday and Breagh has had a great time.

Can't wait to get my boys back tomorrow though !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Excellent Phil. Lots of pics I hope? Did you see the otters again? Any other wildlife? How was the weather?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 11:37 AM

I know this won't go down well but all to often dogs get treated like humans and there not they are dogs. Would you let your six yr old child not go to school if he wasen't keen on it or not visit Tesco coz he didn't want to?????? I think not, parents make there children face there fears to make them grow into well balanced adults with a rounded experiance of life. I understand yes some dogs don't like kennels but i'm sure thats the owners doing not the dogs thoughts.
It would be intresting to see how the dogs whose owners say they don't like kennels would react if a 3rd party dropped them off?
I don't think putting in a dog in kennels can be compared to taking a child to school...not even a little bit.
The child is in school for only 6 hours...with familiar people and is learning and mentally and physically stimulated. A dog in commercial kennels is often bored and in unfamiliar surroundings with unfamiliar people. Totally different.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Excellent Phil. Lots of pics I hope? Did you see the otters again? Any other wildlife? How was the weather?
I did see the otters again (managed a quick video for you) although every time I waited with my big camera and long lens they didn't show up.

I'll get some pictures up later on tonight.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >