Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
Yet the majority of NIs I know do NOT have a problem with livestock chasing. Furthermore, many that HAVE had a problem have been trained successfully NOT to chase. So perhaps that GSD trainability is more influential than you are willing to admit?
Also why are you so willing to piont out the influence the GSD has in the NID and not the sibe or mal. Are we cherry picking all the best bits?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I have never said all NID have a problem chasing livestock but yours does.
Did all the other owners with problems use E collars
sallys choice was a choice made by her at the time on the advice of someone whos opinion she trusted in good faith

youve given youre opinion on ecollars and smacking ( i hope you have by now ) why the need to interrogate sally any more?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Also why are you so willing to piont out the influence the GSD has in the NID and not the sibe or mal. Are we cherry picking all the best bits?
Because you were pointing out the mal and husky traits while DISMISSING the GSD ones. I was merely redressing the balance.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
sallys choice was a choice made by her at the time on the advice of someone whos opinion she trusted in good faith

youve given youre opinion on ecollars and smacking ( i hope you have by now ) why the need to interrogate sally any more?
It just interests me and obviously you, as you are still here too and I don't think I have interrogated her, if I had I might have PM'd her to give me a list of why she chose her breed and their history but that would be seen as rude
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
Because you were pointing out the mal and husky traits while DISMISSING the GSD ones. I was merely redressing the balance.
But when I asked you if you believe the chasing trait may have been passed on you denied it
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Oh lookie another quote from my website LOL.. yeah I am sure your friends fired some quotes at me from there too LOL You really don't need to quote it to me..I did write it..and I do know WHY I got my dogs thank you.. They are a lifelong ambition and challenge to own and I would have another 6 in a second because I know their traits and I know how to deal with them.. such as ON leads, AWAY from LIVESTOCK etc.. mostly this was the first thing I learned about them..amazing what research can do..

Oh and it wasn't Keifer Sutherland (he's a bit old for me sorry.) It was Corey Haim

However.. Thank You Elaine you are soo right..

The issue on breeding boxers was more about HOW it was being done, not that it was being done..
He's not too old for me, Ill have him with pleasure!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 03:13 PM
It just interests me and obviously you, as you are still here too and I don't think I have interrogated her, if I had I might have PM'd her to give me a list of why she chose her breed and their history but that would be seen as rude
hahaha touche

speaking of which im trying to reply but you just wont let old mails go!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
hahaha touche

speaking of which im trying to reply but you just wont let old mails go!!
Cleared it
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Cleared it
nice one - War and Peace on its way
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I wanted a family companion who would possibly be able to engage in some doggie sport such as riding alongside a bike, pulling a scooter, agility, shutzhund (sp?), obedience, flyball etc. I wanted a dog I would feel safe walking alone at night and that could act as a visual deterrent to attackers or burglers, but without strong guarding instincts or a history of aggression problems associated with the breed. I wanted a dog that could get on with other dogs, cats and children and that had flexible exercise needs as there are times when I am unable to move much and can't get out to walk, yet other times I would like to take my dogs out for hours at a time. I wanted a breed that was likely to develop a strong bond with its owner - almost a psychic connection if you like, of being 'tuned in' to my medical condition and level of ability on a given day. I prefer large breeds generally (not exclusively) as I like BIG doggie hugs. I'm not a fan of dogs who have been bred so far from that natural physique of a wild dog that they develop back, breathing or whelping problems because of their physical shape. I wanted a dog that could enjoy off-lead walks around the area in which I live and which could possibly be trained as a PAT dog. I wanted breed which showed an aptitude for training in general and a will to please. A tendency to dominate unless handled firmly was not a problem (- I don't treat my dogs like little spoilt babies or try to humanise them), but I didn't want a breed who was likely to become possessive over people or property. Shedding presented no problems and I was willing to spend a reasonable time on grooming, but didn't want a dog that would be TOO much work if they were regularly jumping in rivers or the like. I LOVE dogs that howl, but don't like dogs who bark excessively. Separation anxiety was not really a problem as I am at home most of the time and always planned to get more than one dog.

Northern Inuits fit the bill perfectly and I'm VERY happy with my choice of breed. I have ONE particular problem with ONE dog that CAN be trained out of him. I am working on this using positive methods, but feel the urgency of the situation requires a more open-minded approach to ALL methods of training, (as long as I'm satisfied that my dog is not hurt or made fearful by them). I MIGHT continue with the e-collar training in future as so far, this is the method with which we have had the BEST results given the time spent on it.
Page 62 of 64 « First < 12 52 59 60 61 62 63 64 >