Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's all the flipping wings, carcasses and ribs that cause the grief bagging them into daily portions which is a carrier bag full for this lot plus the dinosaur bones that need cutting up before they can even fit in the freezer. At least these days the beef chunks etc turn up in portions rather than as half a cow
Ah - I might be limited with what I can get, but it all comes fresh so I can open freeze and then pack in bags and things do not get stuck frozen together. Actually with wings I put each one in a little sandwich bag before freezing so it is easier for me to get out what I want depending on size [I am still weighing everything for Pereg ].

As for freezer space - I reckon I have more than enough for one medium-size dog who is on a diet, and myself!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Lately I've been getting bags of Prize Choice chicken wings instead of the supermarket ones. I don't know how they do it but they don't stick together so I just put the whole bag in the freezer and pull out what I need, it's nice to not to have to bag them up separately still have to do it for carcasses, quarters, ribs and trotters though.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Lately I've been getting bags of Prize Choice chicken wings instead of the supermarket ones. I don't know how they do it but they don't stick together so I just put the whole bag in the freezer and pull out what I need, it's nice to not to have to bag them up separately still have to do it for carcasses, quarters, ribs and trotters though.
i wanted to try mine on trotters, but dont know how theyd take to them.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 02:55 PM
If you freeze them for an hour or two spread out onto a tray before bagging them up, they won't stick together. Bit more of a pain in my smaller freezer though..never mind delivery day excitement, I really cannot wait to sort our garage out with electricity so I can get a huuuge freezer again!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-05-2012, 03:11 PM
can you imagine if I bagged each wing and carcass individually it would take me all day, especially as they get through about 20 wings a day between them.

I'll stick to bagging in daily portions as open freezing 30 kgs of wings and 45 kgs of carcasses isn't very practical for me.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 03:13 PM
can you imagine if I bagged each wing and carcass individually it would take me all day, especially as they get through about 20 wings a day between them.

I'll stick to bagging in daily portions as open freezing 30 kgs of wings and 45 kgs of carcasses isn't very practical for me.
aww i wish i had big dogs mine only get 1 wing as a meal
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i wanted to try mine on trotters, but dont know how theyd take to them.
Trotters are VERY dense and bony. Do yours have heavier bones than chicken bones? How do they cope? Might be too higher volume bone for your little 'uns. Cain has a high tolerance for bones but after trotters his poos are always hard and white. I'd definitely feed with some liver if you do try. My local Morrisons sometimes sell then cleved in half lengthways so half the size of a whole one

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
If you freeze them for an hour or two spread out onto a tray before bagging them up, they won't stick together. Bit more of a pain in my smaller freezer though..never mind delivery day excitement, I really cannot wait to sort our garage out with electricity so I can get a huuuge freezer again!
Yeah I had thought about doing in that way but it's even easier just to buy the Prize Choice ones p.s. shouldn't have sold me your freezer I LOVE having a whole freezer just for Cain, I can order once every 3 months, fill it and forget it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Trotters are VERY dense and bony. Do yours have heavier bones than chicken bones? How do they cope? Might be too higher volume bone for your little 'uns. Cain has a high tolerance for bones but after trotters his poos are always hard and white. I'd definitely feed with some liver if you do try. My local Morrisons sometimes sell then cleved in half lengthways so half the size of a whole one
i only thought about letting them have a munch on them i doubt they would eat a whole one in one go.. they have chicken bones, and rib bones both beef and pork.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Tucson loves big bones

Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Ah, but I only have one dog and she is limited as to weight of everything because of her diet, so she either has two small or one large wing a day for one of her meals. Mind you, she would be happy to have more...

Tucson loves big bones

Jammy so and so! Pereg is now jealous and sulking as she wants something like that!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >