Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2012, 12:59 AM

Can anyone help complete this recipe?

hiya,
after a six week exclusion diet, poo samples etc. the vet and myself have decided Dave the dog has an allergy to beef and therefore has to have a fish based hypoallergenic diet. which is fine but there isnt a awful lot of treats out there. chicken, lamb and turkey have always ben dodgy and he had a bit of a junk food diet prior to me getting him. i had a recipe for tuna bread but have lost it can anyone help?
what i remember is

tuna in sunflower oil
an egg
flour (not sure how much)

and i think it was bind all together roll out on plate, score for size needed and microwave for four minutes.
any ideas appreciated ta
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Pigs liver? Browned, slow baked and cubed.
Cheese?
pork sossidge?
sardine treats? http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=120901
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2012, 12:01 AM
thanks i'll have a look wee soul missing a little extra!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Maybe you could try the following recipe for Dave, especially if he likes tuna....

You need:

•1 cup yellow cornmeal
•1 cup oatmeal
•1/4 tsp baking powder
•1/2 tsp garlic powder
•1 small can tuna in oil, un-drained
•1/3 cup water
Grind oatmeal in processor to make a coarse flour. Set aside in small bowl. In food processor, whirr tuna with the oil and water then add all the rest of ingredients. Pulse until mixture forms a ball. Pulse to knead for 2-3 minutes.

Knead on floured surface till it forms a soft ball of dough. Roll out to a 1/8”-1/4” thickness. Cut into shapes. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet, at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.

Tip:
If Dave won't be eating all of these at once (!) you can store a few in the fridge and freeze the rest, removing them as and when you need them. Always best to keep the ones he's on with in the fridge as they tend to go mouldy if left too long at room temperature, but at least you know what's in his treats unlike some of the shop bought ones. Hope he likes them should you try them out. My OH and me always sample my Bailiie's treats - if they are good enough for her they are good enough for us too!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
thanks i'll have a look wee soul missing a little extra!
Hi, My Goldie has a beef intolerance, so I avoid dairy too for him cheese milk etc.

There are loads of treats you can buy for him. Fish 4 dogs their varying types of just dried fish skin. They also do stars, not sure what is in them though. JWB & Wainwrights. Mine have pig skin ears & chews from Wilko's. Stagbars, dried sprats, Thrive-venison, chicken liver. Zooplus do loads. Those vegetable chews that look ike crocs/toothbrushes & hedgehogs. The list is endless

Good luck, it's a bit of a change from buying the hide chews, but there is more out there than you think.
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2012, 11:36 PM
thanks very much for the tips, i am very wary of adding things back in just in case we get the liquid poos again so i'll definetly try the recipe and have a good look before buying anything.
cheers x
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
thanks very much for the tips, i am very wary of adding things back in just in case we get the liquid poos again so i'll definetly try the recipe and have a good look before buying anything.
cheers x
Just a quick note about the fish4dogs stars.... they are very tiny, don't think Dave would even taste them they are perfect for little dogs though.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 07:48 AM
One of the simplest things is to make 100% meat. For example, if he's OK with pig's liver, part-bake a liver, chop up into squares and finish baking until dry (have learnt from trying it that it's easier to part-bake first rather than try to chop it up raw!). If fish is a definately OK, you can even do the same with fish - I sometimes buy the frozen white fillets from the supermarket and use a very sharp kitchen knife to cut them up while they're still frozen, then bake at a low temperature until dry. Might work out cheaper than buying the Fish4Dogs dried fish treats.
Your recipe for tuna bread would probably work fine as-is, I googled it and found a very similar recipe (said to microwave for 4 mins) and the only extra was a bit of garlic powder. It said 80g flour to one tin of tuna and 1 egg, if that helps.

Re. the Fish4Dogs stars, as someone said, they're very small. What I've done in the past (not with Fish4Dogs but other grain-free kibbles), and have just done recently is bought a bag of Fish4Dogs food - the kibble pieces are a good size for large breed dogs and I'll just put aside a cupful to use as treats and adjust their quota of raw food for the day slightly to account for it.

Considering the ingredients for the kibble is:
Cod 30.5%, Potato 30.5%, Herring Meal 21.4%, Salmon Oil 7.6%, Beet Fibre 6.4%, Brewers Yeast 2.1%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.7%

And for the stars:
Cod 34%, Potato 21.3%, Herring Meal 26.5%, Salmon Oil 9.6%, Beet Fibre 5.2%, Brewers Yeast 2.0%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.6%

You're not getting much different (kibble has high levels of some of the vitamins so jus bear that in mind if you give vitamin supplements) and if you buy a 1.5kg bag at £8.80, it's 58.6p per 100g, vs the training stars £3.20 per 100g!
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2012, 12:18 AM
your'e a star krlyr thanks very much!

zoeyvonne i'll bear that in mind, found some wainwrights stuff that is slightly larger and his recall should improve again! cheers
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2012, 06:48 AM
JWB cracker jacks are big.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >