Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 02:49 PM

WooHoo!!!

Okay so for the last year I have been wanting to teach kids, and in September got put on the relief teaching assistants jobs.

Well nothing ever came of it....for ages, and I had given up on ever getting work cause it's in alphabetical order and being as my surname is Wright....I never got an offer...Until Now (in true Highlander Sean Connery fashion)...

Now I had two on the same day! One was 3 hours work with nursery kids about 15 miles away, bus fare would be more than I would earn. The other is two days in the same town as me...with special needs kids, more pay and full days...hrmm...I think I'll take the two days.

Not only do I get to teach, but I get to help special needs kids too! Even better...and OH and I have talked, if this develops and if I am asked to work next week I can quit my shop job.
PerthLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2011, 03:21 PM
That is brilliant news! Congrats

Hope you enjoy it Fingers crossed for you to get the opportunity to continue it

xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Thats Brill xxxxxxxxxxxx congratulations
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Woo hoo indeed Congrats
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Congratulations. I know how passionate you are and how long you have waited for this.What special needs do the children have? Are they behavioural,developmental or medical?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Congratulations. I know how passionate you are and how long you have waited for this.What special needs do the children have? Are they behavioural,developmental or medical?
As far as I remember it's both Developmental and behavioural. They deal with ADHD, Autism and any behavioural issues like that. The age group is primary school age up to High School, so a broad range, they do different activities like painting outside, and some school work...so was told jeans and t-shirt would be the norm

Thankfully, although limited I have some experience with ADHD kids and autistic spectrum kids in Cadets. So I can kinda handle it and the fella I spoke to was happy cause I was used to teaching teens as well as willing to learn with the ickle ones.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:18 PM
That's just fab news, I am thrilled for you x
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Day 1 over with! It was brilliant, we had 4 kids in the morning, all problem kids but they were okay for us...apparently this is not normal. There was 3 of us, all supply teachers, normally there's two regular teachers but they are both on courses...hence the supply teachers.

I was reading to one, and helped another with his IT, one of the other lads I was just sitting in with while he did his maths stuff (thankfully didn't have to help him with it cause Maths and I really really hate each other).

In the afternoon we just had the one lad, he had history and georgraphy, I took the history cause I know that...even better (for me) it was farming history in Scotland, my grandad was a farmer and right up until the late 60's he had a big Shire horse he would use, so was able to help the lad quite a bit.

As a reward for his good behaviour he got to play ping pong for the final period.

I really loved it, really felt like I was helping. I'm under no illusions though. These kids have behavioural issues, they will, at some point, kick off and there will be days where there's no getting through to them, so not kidding myself in the least.

But...the rewards...oh my...they far outweigh the downside. Having that lad in the afternoon turn round and say he never knew what having a field 'lie fallow' meant, and what silage (sp) was for...it's a little thing but he learned something from me...and thrashed me silly at ping pong.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Glad you enjoyed day 1 and really hope you get the opportunity for more work there. You sound like a brilliant teacher