Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jenniferClair
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Hi I have a doggy dilemma(eating poo)

I would like to say hello to anyone out there and ask if anyone knows how to stop a dog from eating poo.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Its own, other dogs, horses?
jenniferClair
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2011, 01:56 PM
It is actually two of my dogs, one is a Jack russell cross and a Jack russell and it is mainly from other dogs that they are eating. All three of my dogs actually eat rabbit droppings and some bird droppings from geese and the birds around the lake. It is mainly the dogs poo that is a concern.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Apparently feeding some banana helps. Have tried it on mine and it seems to work. Seriously.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Trying to find the cause will help. Is the dog's diet lacking in something? Coprophagia is quite natural in a lot of animals as it helps them digest absolutely everything, including the stuff they missed first time around. A dog lacking some kind of vitamin of mineral may eat their poo to try to see to this deficiency. What food do you feed your dogs? Are they up to date with their worming products? Worms can cause a dog to eat its poo. Are they healthy weights? Hungry dogs will eat all sorts, if they're eating a good amount of food but always seem hungry, it may be time for a vet trip to rule out a health issue.
Sometimes they may do it just because the poo tastes nice. Lots of cheap dog foods are bulked out with cheap, poorly digested ingredients - the result of this being that their poo contains lots of this undigested food. It may not seem like fine dining to us, but dogs can smell the undigested food and be tempted to have a bit of a snack.
It can become a habit too - either through boredom, attention or fear. Have you ever told your dogs off for pooing indoors? Dogs take tellings off literally so a dog that's been punished for messing indoors may not learn "Yikes, better do that outside" but "Well if I do that inside and my owner spots it, I'm in trouble, better clear up the evidence!". Also if you fuss over a dog when it's eating poo, even in a negative way, they can begin to enjoy the attention. For example, you're out on a walk and say you're on your phone, your dogs wandering around having a sniff but your attention isn't on them. They find dog poo and start to eat it and all of a sudden you're off the phone, rushing over to stop them - they soon realise eating poo = you rush over and pay attention to them.

I would first and foremost rule out a physical reason - health issue, dietary issue, etc. because this is probably one of the easier things to do (as in, you can have physical tests done, you can administer worming tablets, you can change the food, and if that's the cause then there's a good chance the behaviour will stop). If you rule out that, then look at training and management - you may not be able to stop your dog wanting to eat poo just because it tastes good, especially if it's out on walks, but you can manage it by training a good "leave it", a good recall, by providing the dog with other forms of entertainment to stop it sniffing out for poo in bushes, etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:36 AM
No one knows why dogs eat pooh really but it can be a variety of reasons:

1 Most diets are grain based, the grain is not fully metabolised and thus is still attractive to dogs when excreted.
2 habit - many dogs learn to do this from watching other dogs, so if you have more than one dog, this is quite tricky to sort out.
3 boredom - many dogs eat pooh because of boredom
4 it is natural for dogs to consume the faeces of herbivores, it can taste very nice (especially after cattle have been eating silage)! and it also provides dog with lots of beneficial bacteria (probiotics).

5there are some dangers in consuming excreta, dogs, especially collies, should not be eating horse poop after they have been wormed, as horsewormers contain ivermectin etc. also dogs can contract clostridium, salmonella, campylobacter, e-coli et al.

So the main thing is to stop the dogs doing it.

1 you can change the diet to remove grains, or you can add digestive enzymes to the diet; one of the reasons pineapple is often recommended is that it contains bromelain which is an enzyme. Get them over the counter from any health food shop, get ones that include enzymes which work on grains.

2 Split dogs up to see what dog does it as a primary behaviour.

3 give the dogs more interesting things to do.

4 I do not mind my dogs eating horse or cow pooh etc, they have never shown any interest in consuming their own or other dogs, but they are raw fed.