Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:25 PM

Woohoo

Just spoken to mum,

She was writing an email at the time that asked how many pets we have. She put 'cats (2) and soon 1 spotty dog.' Which suggests to me that we're getting my puppy!

I told her about what the breeder had said on the phone and she is going to talk to dad and see if we can view it next week and will let me put a deposit on her!!!!!!!!! Wippeeee! That means I'm definitely not dreaming!

We've just been on ebay looking at leads/collars/beds etc. so I'll let you know how we get on!

Can anyone tell me what the best type to get is, mum said she was advised with her last big dog, to get a choker, but I don't like them. Apparently they're easier to keep control of the dog but what do you think? I'm going to ask the breeder as she knows specifically for dalmatians. But if you could let me know what you think I'd be most grateful!

Thanks,
Lottie
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi for a Dalmatian when training to walk etc, I always use a halti. I would not advice a choke chain for any dog especially a Dalmatian. If you have to get a choke chain type at least get a half check chain, which is mostly made of material (leather or nylon) and has a small chain joining the two sides to check the dog.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:32 PM
cheers that's great. Aren't haltis the ones with muzzles attached? What is so good about them that they help?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2005, 12:33 PM
not keen on choke chains at all esp on a pup. all pups pull they need to learn not too.
maybe a 1/2 choke collar but nothing more,
sorry but if you train the pup to walk correctly from the off there is no reason you need to use choke collars of any type. on any breed of dog.
as you already know i own leonbergers toby is 2 and weight is 66kg / 10 stone he is walked on a normal collar and always has been.
if the pup doesn't get on with the collar try a harness for control its better for the pup to learn than use choke chains etc.
maybe the breeder can advice the best type for dallies but i would have though a flat narrow collar...................ask roxy she has a dallie.
other than that congratulations on your dreams coming true.
what is the name going to be?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Congratulations!!!
Definatly dont use a choke chain!

Keep us posted!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2005, 12:36 PM
haltis are head leads you stop the pup from pulling because as they pull forward it turns the head back towards you.
you have more control because they don't use their strength against you.
we used a dogmatic it the same but leather and you can get ones to fit dallies.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi, I was going to use a harness for a pup anyway.
The name is probably going to be Pebbles. I think it's cute but obviously it depends what feels right when we see her.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to ask the breeder but for when she's a puppy will be using a harness anyway.

I said to my mum that by the time we get to collars she should be trained well enough to not pull anyway!

What is the great thing about haltis? I don't like the look of them at all! I'd be interested if anyone could tell me!

edit: just seen the post about haltis - thankyou!
pawprints
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Great news Lottie, you sound really excited in your e-mail, I hope your Dad agrees to let you go & see the puppies really soon. I`m sure the breeder will be able to answer lots of questions for you, good luck, Lucy
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:51 PM
WHat good news!

Just to stress, Haltis are not muzzles!
They are a head collar, and should be used with a collar/harness aswell (with a lead attached to both).

The best thing for a puppy is a nice soft collar, not expensive!
Nice and soft so he/she can get used to it, and not expensive as they will grow out of it quickly!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Thats great news Lottie...Pleased for you..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >