Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I don't think she understands the breeding of her dog if she feel decades (can't be precise as they are not my chosen breeds) of breeding can be cancelled out in 20yrs by adding a GSD
It is her choice to train her dog by any method she sees fit but her dog is genetically predisposed to chase and to deny this is just sticking your fingers in your ears and humming.
A dog only becomes a sheep chaser after it has chased a sheep
by the way i pm'd you and you never replied as to why the RR was best suitd to you
I think Dogs are predisposed to chase to some degree or another not just because they have a particular breed in them
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't think she understands the breeding of her dog if she feel decades (can't be precise as they are not my chosen breeds) of breeding can be cancelled out in 20yrs by adding a GSD
Thank you but I think I understand the breeding of my dog better than you do. I think this post is a little patronising TBH.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
I dont know what you mean by my friends, im merely making my comments as you seemed to have as much input on another thread on breeders of boxers as any input I have shown in my last couple of posts on malamutes.

I only said you wanted to get a malamute because i read this somewhere

Since seeing The Lost Boys in 1988 (when I was 12) I have wanted a sled dog like Nanook.. I grew up thinking he was a husky!! It wasn’t until I had met and married Alex and had my son Ciaran that we decided to add a dog to the pack. I wanted a Rottweiler, he said “No WAY!!”, he wanted a Border Collie, I said “No Way!!”

A few days later I told him about my love of sled dogs and showed him the video of Lost Boys.. He agreed they were stunning and we decided to “go for it”

But youre right, this thread isnt about you or your choice of dog AND its not about Sally or HER CHOICE OF DOG

its about smacking - or ecollar which is worse - Sally thinks she is doin the right thing by her dog and its her choice so she has decided to use one in the past, its her choice that she has chosen the typ of dog she wants and her reasons can be no less worthy than shes seen one on her favourite kiefer Sutherland film - her every word has been scrutinised on this thread and half of what has been discussed has no more to do with the subject of the thread than the last few exchanges from either of us.

As for my friends I dont know who you mean as my circle of friends are away from forums, people I share different interests with such as football and helping raise public awareness of people suffering from degenerative diseases.

Oh lookie another quote from my website LOL.. yeah I am sure your friends fired some quotes at me from there too LOL You really don't need to quote it to me..I did write it..and I do know WHY I got my dogs thank you.. They are a lifelong ambition and challenge to own and I would have another 6 in a second because I know their traits and I know how to deal with them.. such as ON leads, AWAY from LIVESTOCK etc.. mostly this was the first thing I learned about them..amazing what research can do..

Oh and it wasn't Keifer Sutherland (he's a bit old for me sorry.) It was Corey Haim

However.. Thank You Elaine you are soo right..

The issue on breeding boxers was more about HOW it was being done, not that it was being done..
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:21 PM
It is her choice to train her dog by any method she sees fit but her dog is genetically predisposed to chase and to deny this is just sticking your fingers in your ears and humming.
A dog only becomes a sheep chaser after it has chased a sheep
Couldn't agree more, my input is only from the point of view of owning one of those breeds that make up an NI, and yes the analogy of 'sticking your fingers in your ears' came to my mind earlier...
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:22 PM
her dog is genetically predisposed to chase and to deny this is just sticking your fingers in your ears and humming.
Yet the majority of NIs I know do NOT have a problem with livestock chasing. Furthermore, many that HAVE had a problem have been trained successfully NOT to chase. So perhaps that GSD trainability is more influential than you are willing to admit?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
So the GSD in the breed origin cannot have an influence on his ability to be trained around sheep - because that's rubbish, but the Mal and Husky in it WILL make him more likely to have bad recall and high prey-drive? Why are the mal & husky traits always seen as most influential by mal owners I wonder?
Well given that Mals & Sibse are vrey similar in their traits..I would think that a cross between 2 dogs and only ONE GSD that its going to have a higher amount of Sibe and Mal than the GSD??

Don't you think??

Two high prey driven dogs and one not so much...Definately a higher percentage of prey drive in that mix
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
So the GSD in the breed origin cannot have an influence on his ability to be trained around sheep - because that's rubbish, but the Mal and Husky in it WILL make him more likely to have bad recall and high prey-drive? Why are the mal & husky traits always seen as most influential by mal owners I wonder?
Why is that NI owners always come up with the old chestnut that 'cos it's got GSD that means it's more trainable than a Husky, just putting together a Husky and a GSD does not mean you're going to get the best of both breeds...
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Furthermore AGAIN, the e-collar training session I had with Spike proved HIGHLY successful for a 20 minute session, showing that he CAN be trained around livestock and relatively easily, especially considering the low settings used on the collar at the time.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I am sure he CAN be trained around livestock..I am damn sure if someone zapped me everytime I posted on here I would stop doing it..(LOL is everyone running out to buy a collar for me now)
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Oh lookie another quote from my website LOL.. yeah I am sure your friends fired some quotes at me from there too LOL You really don't need to quote it to me..I did write it..and I do know WHY I got my dogs thank you.. They are a lifelong ambition and challenge to own and I would have another 6 in a second because I know their traits and I know how to deal with them.. such as ON leads, AWAY from LIVESTOCK etc.. mostly this was the first thing I learned about them..amazing what research can do..

Oh and it wasn't Keifer Sutherland (he's a bit old for me sorry.) It was Corey Haim

However.. Thank You Elaine you are soo right..

The issue on breeding boxers was more about HOW it was being done, not that it was being done..

Seriously no ones telling me to say anything, you would have to be one seriously thick individual to say something or form opinions based on some tittle tattle PM'dd to you who would be that stupid.

I read your website because it was on your public profile and when you said you wanted one because you saw it on lost boys, i read too much into and took it from that that you saw one on lost boys and wanted one. Like Sally maybe saw a NI and wanted one - good for the goose and all that...

As for the freead thread I, unlike some people it appeared were able to draw my own conclusions as to the character of a couple of people on that thread.

Now id rather smack

you'd rather neither

lets leave sally alone as others dont like their own choices being questioned and let the thread just floooowwww
Page 60 of 64 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 > Last »