View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes puffs faces are clipped, and 'some' hairless may need stubble clipped off..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I dont know if this is true or not, but I was told that there are 2 different types of hairless cresteds.. there is the true hairless which just has the little tufts of hair on the feet, head etc, and then there is the hairy hairless, which can have fine hair on its body and that is the reason some crested's are shaved for the show ring and some aren't?

I'm not sure I agree on shaving a powderpuff down to look like a hairless for the show ring though, isn't that a bit like cheating? but thats just my opinion.

I was actually cuddling a hairless crested this afternoon, she was lovely, felt a bit strange to me though, as I thought the hairless area would feel cold like skin, but infact it felt very warm.

Lovely little dog she was, reminded me of a little horse in a dogs body for some reason.

I agree, but it happens, and you can always tell a PP that has been shaved to look like a hairless, they have far to much furnishings .

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The difference between the true hairless and hairy hairless is.
The true has less furnishings and its more horse like, less stubble to clip if any at all..
The hairy has more furnishings and can be thicker than that of the true.
Instead of stubble to clip off they can grow up to a single coat, but not an under coat like the puffs, and you can see through to the skin, they should have hairless bodies and under arms..
Hairy hairless tend to have better dentition to that of the true hairless..the hairless true and hairy dont have canines but instead have tusks which point forward..another way a judge can tell a shaved off puff.
puffs have dentition like any other breed and should only have faced clipped like a poodle for the showing ring.

shaving a puff off for a hairless is cheating, and is bang out of order imo...

hairless are very warm to touch, and that is why its said they were used as bed warms on the ships they ratted on many years ago.
Again agree, but with the fashion in the ring for a lot of furnishings, you are not going to change, the trouble is a hairy hairless never going to look as striking as a Shaved PP.

When people say, their skin looks sore, you can bet its because it's PP that has been shaved.

And you will know who I mean, one of the top kennels has a couple in the right now... along with a few others..
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Yes puffs faces are clipped, and 'some' hairless may need stubble clipped off..
are we just going round in circles??

come on guys.. this is a good thead, lets no one ruin it... please..

i have showd you pics of a true hairless and a hairy hairless.
i told you i dont have to shave my hairless,
but my HH i do, he gets hair along his back, but he has good teeth, so thats a bonus..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I can see the benifit in getting a puppy used to the grooming process and the noise of clippers
but I would have though it was going a bit far to shave its face down at that age

I agree that we have bred many dogs so they need grooming for the good of their health

But grooming a dog down so it looks like a different dog, so it hides how much or little hair it has is wrong IMO
Grooming into OTT patterns is a bit wrong
Needing to keep a coat so long that a dog cannot live normaly is wrong IMO

Why not just show a hairy hairless as it is?? Why not show a poodle in a lamb/puppy cut? Why not trim a yorkie so it could run around and be a terrier? Why not trim a beardie so it dosent have to wear bunches to see anything?
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I can see the benifit in getting a puppy used to the grooming process and the noise of clippers
but I would have though it was going a bit far to shave its face down at that age

I agree that we have bred many dogs so they need grooming for the good of their health

But grooming a dog down so it looks like a different dog, so it hides how much or little hair it has is wrong IMO

Why not just show a hairy hairless as it is?? Why not show a poodle in a lamb/puppy cut? Why not trim a yorkie so it could run around and be a terrier? Why not trim a beardie so it dosent have to wear bunches to see anything?
and thats why i show my great dane.. she just gets a bath,dry and a brush.. and shes done.. lol

my afghans i cut short, well shortish, so they can Race, its what they want to do, so they do it..

our HH, we dont show atm, so hes left to grow, but it is annoying him, so will be getting cut off..
emilypaigeminni
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi, this is my first post on here but this is the first thread that i have had to read through for the last hour and a half,

I own a true hairless bitch that does get shaved, she gets bathed then on her hairy bits like the tops of her legs she gets shaving foam put on then i use a normal razor one that i would use on my legs, armpits and lady bits, she is then taken out of the bath and dried then i clipper her face trim her feet and then cover her in moisturiser she then gets down from the table and bounds around to show everyone how beautiful she looks, this is done weekly,

i also own a powderpuff bitch who also has a bath but only fortnightly who comes out of the bath is dried then has her face clipped (with clippers) she also bounds around afterwards

neither of my dogs have been shown by me but hopefully will be this year, i keep my dogs like this because i can and i like them like this and as already pointed out by the crested owners on here it stops hair in their faces annoying them and they look stunning and because they come everywhere with me i want to promote the breed and have people chat to me
about my gorgeous dogs
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So yes they are not truly hairless, they are shaved!
this was my point 100s of pages ago.

If Hairlessness is CRUCIAL to the breed standard, then the amount of hair they have or have not, should be judged? surely? its fundemental to the standard?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
this was my point 100s of pages ago.

If Hairlessness is CRUCIAL to the breed standard, then the amount of hair they have or have not, should be judged? surely? its fundemental to the standard?
Of course. Thats why I asked if they are truly hairless, I actually thought they were, but it seems they just have a miuch poorer coat than the others which is very disappointing really.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

[but as the face will be shaved during the grooming process, surely its better to get pup used to the procedure sooner rather than later, , no point in starting young with the rest of the body , but leaving the face till much later, you are defeating the object of the exercise

Why?? whats wrong with grooming a dog into a show clip, is it detrimental to the dog, does the dog have less a life, or is it just distastefully to some peoples eyes.

In the great big scheme of things and the cruelty that goes towards animals, the dogs in shelters, the dogs abandoned, the dogs used for fighting the general disregard of animal welfare.......... does it really matter if a Berdie wears a ribbon to keep the hair out of their eyes while running around in the park????????
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 07:37 AM
jackie
as a pup i got ben used to things in stages. i now walk him in crouds in the middle of glasgow and he loves it
as a tiny pup i didnt just carry him into the middle of a croud and expect him to deal with it, i let him meet up with a few people and built it up from there
same with any grooming, i didnt just grab his paws and cut all his nails, i got him used to being handled
so at such a young age i would be building up gradualy to liking clippers not shaving straight away

as for the showing
i wasnt saying it was cruel to shave, it means the judge is not getting to judge the dogs coat. the breed standerd says hairless or a fine covering of hair, so shaving a powderpuff is cheating because it is hiding a deviation from the standard
although i think the standard is wrong if powderpuffs are healthy and born in the same litters as hairlesses then why not include them in the standard?

if clipping is hiding a 'fault' then its wrong
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 31 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »