Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Are snakes in the grass dangerous?

Was a bit spooked today when another dog walker told me that she's just seen a snake on the path border of the wheat field. She said it was an adder & that her dog went up to it & it stayed still.
I put Tilly back on her lead but didn't see it when we got there.
So are they dangerous? do they bite? I expected they would be in the middle, not venturing on to the path.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes - they bite and yes it can be fatal.

We get a lot down here on the sand dunes and really ahve to steer clear in hot weather.

THey are also pretty painful to people - a friend of mine had one in her field the other day - she did not realise it was there till it bit her
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 08:57 AM
It depends what kind of snake it was, if an Adder then they will strike if need be and as they are venomous then it can cause a reaction and depending on the bite, size of dog etc will depend on the severity.
Adders have large black diamonds on their backs and red eyes. Grass snakes are harmless although will bite if they have to.
It is against the law to kill them even if they have bitten your dog.
Best thing in this warm weather is to minimise any risk and avoid areas where adders may frequent, heathland, edges of woods etc and just go to open grassland areas.
Becky
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:00 AM
If it was an adder, yes, they are Britain's only poisonous viper capable of killing a baby, elderly person or small dog with a bite. Ashdown Forest is bad for them as it any sandy area of heath/dunes sometimes too.

Dogs need antivenom and IV very fast if bitten esp on face. I was bitten a few years ago on the ankle, I couldn't weight-bear for 10 days and the pain lasted 4-5 months.

Suggest you Google adders if you live in E Sussex!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Thankyou & OMG!!! well that's it then. I think we are going to have to go to the beach instead once a day & keep her on lead if I go on the farm for her other walk.
It's such a shame because it's right opposite our house where we go - anywhere else will have to go in the car.
It's not worth the risk though.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
To be honest the risk is actually very small and whilst dogs do get bitten if you take into account the numbers of dogs exercised then the risk is low, there is more risk of being attacked by another dog.
Becky
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
To be honest the risk is actually very small and whilst dogs do get bitten if you take into account the numbers of dogs exercised then the risk is low, there is more risk of being attacked by another dog.
Becky

It's scarey though isn't it. I have noticed though that the amount of dogs on walks over there has less than halved in the last few weeks. We see maybe 2 or 3, in the winter more like 10! I keep telling myself to go to the bit of beach we found anyway because of all the grass seeds she's picking up which take ages to get out - I'm just not keen having to use the car when I'm used to just stepping across the road & off we go.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
For most parts of UK this is true, but E Sussex has many hot-spots for snakes, esp Adders....risk is higher of being bitten in Spring when they venture out from hibernation to bask on warm paths and are sleepy. Greatest risk of serious envenomation then too as the snake has been building up supplies ready fro spring hunt. I was bitten in April which is why symptoms were so bad.