Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

I think I gave an example of luring from sit to down, sit is punished because it doesn't get the reward so the dog changes its behaviour to get the reward.
The sit is rewarded then the dog is lured into the down which is rewarded unless, of course, the dog is already in the sit position before training the down begins. The sit is not being punished unless the trainer doesn't know how to use lure and reward correctly to guide a dog into a behaviour

Bellon (top ring sport trainer) talks about frustration increasing motivation in the vids, this is similar and will also involve aversive due to the dog wanting rid of frustrations.
If Bellon say so it must be true <sigh>
If Bellon is using food to cause frustration, then Bellon is using food incorrectly unless, of course, his aim is to cause frustration to hype the dog

IT could be argued that even reward based training utilises aversives because the neg punishment state is aversive (frustrating/depressing/whatever) so the dog changes its behaviour to relieve the aversive state.
Negative punishment is by definition is the withholding of something the dog wants. It changes behaviour in that an animal will change its behaviour to achieve the thing it wants (positive reinforcement). EG: a child wants chocolate, but has to wait until dinner is eaten.

The thing to mremember with these (proper) science terms is they are not related to emotional judgement of the training or advertising ect, they are just terms.
Yep, terms which are often misused. For example, when you use an e-collar you apply physical positive punishment until the dog adopts the position you want it to be in or the action you want it to achieve, then you use negative reinforcement when you stop the shock.

To say that the stopping of the shock is positive reinforcement is simply incorrect in scientific terms no matter how much e-collar trainers try insist otherwise
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:02 PM
ok so the whoooole time that my dogs are not being given treats, like now.... theyre being negatively punished?!!! omg i must start giving my dogs treats alll day long!!
and yes i understand its between asking and doing a behaviour, but my dogs will work without treats, so wheres the negative punishment in that?!

youre warbling crap Adam and you are slowly starting to back track. stop putting up videos, and show us by typing YOUR OWN WORDS how exactly you have come to this conclusion and where/when you learnt it
also why is it that you ALONE have this RIDICULOUS theory?!
im very tempted to arrange a meet so i can see if all your claims of dog training are true, i personally think its a load of bull!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

To say that the stopping of the shock is positive reinforcement is simply incorrect in scientific terms no matter how much e-collar trainers try insist otherwise
Well said

Wys
x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't know why you are all bothering any more TBH----Adam has proved himself to be totally lacking in any kind of ability to understand or train dogs and his attempt to say that treats and toys are punidshment based is taken from his puppetmasters book.

He is laughable and desperate to try and justify his 'methods'.

I certainly don't believe he over 6 feet in height

rune
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 04:58 AM
I imagine he's not even as tall as me (5ft 9) lol why else would he be so domineering over poor defencless little jack russell terriers, it all makes since now! Little man sendrome LMBO.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Say his name, click and treat for any response to it and built up to him having to look at me for the click/treat.

I've only used a flexi out in the garden with him. I find them really uncomfortable to hold and don't really trust them not to break. He won't play tug with anything let alone the leash. I've managed to clicker train him to tug for about 5 seconds in the house but he's not really interested.

No.

Not for a few months but I have stopped for several weeks a few times. More out of frustration at getting nowhere than anything.

No worries
Have you ever done a name response circuit? I think i put a vid on here someone. If you havent seen it i will repost

Think about giving him a month off , to loose the frustration, just play with him, introduce some fun /key words & really prime them by play,

Name response circuit is a good game too!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 07:25 AM
)

I have found it is possible to teach/proof a behaviour in a short period, it will require maintenance but not neccasarily ongoing training!

Adam
SAME thing. You are a bellend
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Negative punishment is by definition is the withholding of something the dog wants. It changes behaviour in that an animal will change its behaviour to achieve the thing it wants (positive reinforcement). EG: a child wants chocolate, but has to wait until dinner is eaten.

Dog wants treat but has to wait until it downs!

Thanks for proving my point, btw the reference is just skinners stuff, not the stuff some of the reward based schools have simplified to their own ends but the original.

Adam
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 12:11 PM

Dog wants treat but has to wait until it downs!

Thanks for proving my point, btw the reference is just skinners stuff, not the stuff some of the reward based schools have simplified to their own ends but the original.

Adam
And where exactly does it say it causes discomfort and anxiety?!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Yes I did say that.

I simply suggested that its possible they find neg punishment an aversive state.

Certainly people do, I think conditioned humanising is ok in some circumstances.

Adam
Page 32 of 38 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »