Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2007, 08:19 PM

microchip in chest :(

Just a quick question on behalf of a friend, she has cockers, and one of her bitches microchip has moved round to her chest. A couple of people have told her they'd be concerned and want it removed and she's rang us in a mither wanting to know our opinion, so I said I'd ask everyone here. Also her girl has been optigen tested A1 paired with her current microchip so how would she go about updating it if she needed a new chip, thanks in advance :smt001
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Storm's has moved into his chest area too. My vet said not to worry about it - just make sure that he has a tag on saying that he is microchipped in case he ever gets lost.

Can't help you with the updating
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Some thing to ask a vet, i know tobys was put in the correct place when he was a pup.But as he grew it moved down more on the side of his shoulder than where it should be.
I would think contact them, tell them the old chip has been removed and give the new number, or link both numbers to her so its right on the database.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm sure if she had a letter from her vet to confirm that the micro-chipped had been removed and replaced Optigen will send out a new certificate, when they sent my certificates out they put the wrong number on Lily's document, they just sent me another with the correct number on.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't have it removed it isn't necessary. If she is worried that the chip may not be found by someone scanning the dog then you can always have another implanted and have two but personally I would leave as is.
Becky
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Might give her more trouble where it is located, than to leave it.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 08:39 PM
You don't actually need to remove the chip, it will not move into the dogs organs but will stay below the skin. However I would be inclined to ask the vet to chip the dog again, in the correct place this time, between the shoulder blades, notify Petlog that this is a second chip and the reasons why, they won't delete the first chips records therefore the records of the dogs testing is still there. There is a space for 'other details' when filling in paperwork, use this to mention the other chip and the test results.

I wouldn't be happy doing nothing at all, if the dog were lost and scanned by the finder it is possible that the person doing the scanning might not find the chip.

My dog was chipped by a vet in the Highlands, her chip is down near her elbow. I spoke to a Petlog representative who advised me to re-chip my dog but leave the first chip in place. I chipped her again myself 18 months ago and her second chip is still in place. Hope this is of some help.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Rjj's chip was implanted in the correct place by a very experienced chipper for his Pet Passport, within 6 months it was at the end of his rib cage & now it's between his front legs & so has had to have his PP updated with the position. His tattoo however is still in his right ear perfectly readable & his ear of course hasn't moved still being attached to the right side of his head :smt002
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Thats amazing. My dog was chipped 7 years ago, and its still in the same place it was put. What sort of chips are these that are migrating?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2007, 06:28 AM
just out of curiosity to leo and jodeeuk, when you say the chip was put in the "right place", where do you mean?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »