Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Putsborough Beach in North Devon. We have rented cottages there for the past 2 years in January. The boys love it there, and it is an idea training ground for Ben because you can keep yourself well away from other dogs, and you have plenty of time to get them under control well in advance if needs be.
Sounds really lovely, I do like renting cottages and taking dogs, we've been to the Lake District and Yorkshire but I do love Devon and Cornwall very much. Yes, looks like the beaches are perfect for your boys .

Wys
x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I need to amend my post to gorgeous dogs
I guessed that what you meant!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sounds really lovely, I do like renting cottages and taking dogs, we've been to the Lake District and Yorkshire but I do love Devon and Cornwall very much. Yes, looks like the beaches are perfect for your boys .

Wys
x
We started doing it with Hal, and it was such a success we carried on. We usually go away over my birthday in January as that is the cheapest time to rent and the beaches are empty. At that time of year we can afford to rent really nice places, so everyone has a good time.

We are going away to North Norfolk the last week of August first week in September for 2 weeks with my parents - they're paying!! I don't expect the beaches will be nearly as quiet as we are used to, so will definitely need to muzzle Ben and they are going to have to be on the lead a lot more, which will do them no harm whatsoever.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
We are going away to North Norfolk the last week of August first week in September for 2 weeks with my parents - they're paying!! I don't expect the beaches will be nearly as quiet as we are used to, so will definitely need to muzzle Ben and they are going to have to be on the lead a lot more, which will do them no harm whatsoever.
Lucky you!!! Great training opportunity too, but I'm sure if you look around you'll find some quiet stretches of beach where you will be at least able to take off the muzzle for a while to let Ben have a sniff. Of course, that's when you need to be ultra aware so that if other dogs do come onto the beach you can reinstate it.

That'll be just about the last two weeks of the kids being off school so you are likely to find it very busy, but, as said, great training opportunity if you live in a quiet area.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Lucky you!!! Great training opportunity too, but I'm sure if you look around you'll find some quiet stretches of beach where you will be at least able to take off the muzzle for a while to let Ben have a sniff. Of course, that's when you need to be ultra aware so that if other dogs do come onto the beach you can reinstate it.

That'll be just about the last two weeks of the kids being off school so you are likely to find it very busy, but, as said, great training opportunity if you live in a quiet area.

We do live in a quiet area, such that we very rarely meet other people, and most importantly, dogs. In Devon we did take the muzzle off frequently because on that vast beach you could see for literally miles, and as Ben's recall is so brilliant now, we didn't need to panic. He isn't that bothered about wearing it actually, but it can't be that pleasant. I am sure it will be very different in Norfolk at the end of Aug, beginning of Sept, we will need to be extremely vigilant. Thankfully, as I say, his recall is excellent so that is one less thing to worry about, just need to be careful of being taken unawares!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Aw beautiful photos! So reminds me of Loki.

We do cottages and take Loki too - the hike in prices during school holidays is dreadful though. We have no choice now though. Hope you have a fab time in August.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi LS!! Ma and Pa are paying ... how cool is that!! We would NEVER be able to afford to go away at that time of year, we always go in January when it is cheap, but they are very frail now and can no longer go to France, so we are going with them to look after them.

Great progress has been made with Ben over the weekend, such that our thoughts surrounding his DA may be correct. We have thought for some time that it is when he meets high energy dogs, like spaniels for example, who like to dash around and not stand still for too long, that the trouble starts, and then only with males. Where the all-black dogs comes in we are not too sure, but we met a gorgeous dog on the canal at the weekend, both our two were on leads, and my daughter's 3 chihuahuas. We approached a canal barge moored up, with this lovely dog - a medium-sized castrated black & tan terrier cross collie possibly - sitting beside it. We approached him calmly, with me walking ahead with the 3 chis, OH behind with Ben and Tai, both on the leads, and there was absolutely no trouble whatsoever. The owner appeared and started chatting, his dog growled at Ben in defense of his barge, and both Ben and Tai just backed off, no trouble. Ben just seemed to accept that the little guy was defending his territory whilst at the same time allowing Ben and Tai to sniff him out, suss him out, and generally give him the once over, whilst he returned the compliment to them. There was absolutely no aggression or nastiness whatsoever, my heart was in my mouth of course, we were on double alert, but the owner was very chilled and said he was more than happy with the situation. He even fetched a bowl of water for the dogs, and all 6 of them had a drink, sharing the bowl respectfully in turn.

It would seem that our theory that Ben does not like intransigence - despite the fact that he himself can be extremely intransigent!! - may seem to be correct. It all fits into place with the various dogs he has had altercations with over the 2 years we have had him, and why seemingly some dogs he is fine with, and some he is not. Clearly the issue with next door's BL is all about territory.

It does not condone Ben's behaviour in any way, but understanding why a dog is doing something sure makes it a hell of a lot easier to solve the problem. I am thinking really, really positively about the future now. Whether we can ever get Ben to accept that some dogs are not very sociable or balanced, and it is NOT his job to meter out the discipline, remains to be seen, but I am feeling a lot more confident. He really was so good with that dog on the tow path, so was Tai. They got enormous praise, and were so proud of themselves, bless them!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 11:48 AM
We may have a little light at the end of the tunnel, vis a vis our neighbours!

I was digging one of the flowerbeds on our drive at the weekend when I heard a 4 wheel drive come into our drive. I guessed it was the neighbours (hardly difficult!) and turned round to see that yes, it was them, so I smiled and waived! She remained staring ahead, but he leaned across her and waived enthusiastically and smiled, so I waived back equally enthusiastically. I thought this was very encouraging, and confirms that all this nonsense is mainly, if not all, down to her. Definitely a chance to build bridges here - OH has been instructed to take him up to the pub in the village for a few pints and a man to man chat. It is not good to be in this position.

I really hope that by christmas we have kissed and made up.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for you Gnasher! Such an awkward situation to be in
And know exactly what you mean about crazy spaniels! We've had to work really hard with Bentley to teach him to remain calm and not show aggression around the high energy dogs....which is beyond ironic as he's high energy himself!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

Absolutely! Because his recall is so good, we can let him off once we hit a quiet stretch, and then put it back on as soon as needed. One of us is always on dog alert at any one time, so the system works perfectly.

We've just had the most amazing weekend with the boys. OH bought a pair of electric clippers on eBay, as both boys but in particular Ben desperately need thinning out, esp their rear ends!! We honestly thought that Ben would be a nightmare - he absolutely HATES his tail brushed, and his thighs, so we muzzled him for the clipping!! He was brilliant, just lay there like a little horse fast asleep in the conservatory whilst OH clipped him. We got a mass of fluff off him, and then it was Tai's turn. Tai was nowhere near as good as Ben, but nonetheless we got him trimmed up as well and they looked a lot better and will feel cooler in this warmer weather.

Then, if that was not enough, both boys slept in the spare room next to our bedroom with the stair gate across the open doorway, so that they could no longer see us in our bedroom. They made not even a squeak, and this morning when we woke up remained quietly in their bedroom without crying to get closer to us. They really are such good boys, I am so proud of them, it was so sweet yesterday when we were clipping Ben, Tai came and lay down right beside him and licked his ears and generally reassured him whilst we were clipping him. when I think back to the terrible fights they used to have, it is amazing how well they have bonded.
Page 49 of 51 « First < 39 46 47 48 49 50 51 >