Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Hand, foot and mouth disease

My daughter and her family were dog sitting for us today whilst we were out, and when we got back my daughter was sporting nasty blistery spots on her hands and feet, and was beginning to get them in her mouth.

The school warned parents last week that there was an outbreak of hand foot and mouth, and said that adults were unlikely to get it and if they did it would be very mild.

My daughter was feeling very ill indeed and they all went home as soon as we got back, so then I googled it. Yes yes, I know - you should never google diseases or illness but I know nothing about this particular one. It seems that it is highly contagious, and adults can and do suffer very badly if they get it, and it can last for up to a month. I do hope that she is okay, and will ring in the morning to find out.

Naturally, this house is now probably crawling with h,f and m germs and other than washing hands frequently (and disinfecting my keboard because of course she used that didn't she) there is little that I can do.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? If so, was it severe or just a mild inconvenience as the school is making out?
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2011, 11:11 PM
My son had it when he was younger i'd never even heard of it before he was diagnosed with it. It was nothing in the slightest to worry about and no adults got it and we were all living with my parents at the time.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by JackieandMia View Post
My son had it when he was younger i'd never even heard of it before he was diagnosed with it. It was nothing in the slightest to worry about and no adults got it and we were all living with my parents at the time.
Yes but that's just it........my daughter IS adult, she's 31, and was feeling very ill indeed. Her hands and feet are very sore and the blisters in her mouth and throat are not too comfortable either!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 08:23 PM
dont know much about it but this link may help, doesnt sound like the complications are too bad, bit like flu:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hand-fo...roduction.aspx

ATD x
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes - I got it last year!

It started with an outbreak of mouth ulcers, then I felt as though I was getting flu with temperature and shivers. I thought I'd got little cuts on my fingertips and finally got the blisters on my feet.

Funnily enough, I got all the symptoms consecutively rather than together.

I was better within a few weeks.