Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:55 AM

Wednesday - absolute horror of a day

Over the past week I have had really bad toothache, swollen gums etc. Couldn’t get appt until this morning at dentist. I have two very heavily filled teeth on the bottom right. Long shot is there is abscesses under both of them - I guessed I had a abscess, didn’t realise I had two of them: shock: Antibiotics for a week and then I have to go back and get both teeth out and also a wisdom tooth that is lying on its side underneath them. Now you need to remember I am very very scared of the dentist. I do go but that is to stop pain and discomfort as I have soft crumbling teeth

So what to do then - 3 choices.

Option one
Leave alone and have no back teeth to chew on the bottom right - least expensive

Get a plate with two teeth on it.
This does not appeal to me for various reasons - I seem to have inherited my dads weak crumbly teeth - his whole life he never had a plate that suited him, they said he had a peculiar shaped jaw, he used to get very sore gums and I really don’t think I could cope with something in my mouth like a plate

Implants
These are obviously the most expensive option - over £2,000 each: shock: I hate the thoughts of having my jaw drilled and screws [posts] screwed into my jaw + then the crown is put on top of the posts. However they are ultimately the best option. Unfortunately Denplan don’t cover implants. You should have seen his face when I asked him would I get a discount for getting two done at once

That is the way I am swayed at the minute. I know I cant let this continue - the teeth are too far gone and its bad when they start to abscess at the root, which is rather irksome as I am someone who attends the dentist, heck I am there about every six weeks as these two teeth keep crumbling away getting them repaired. Just need to get the funds together to pay for it and the humongous amount of courage I need to go and get the teeth out and the rest of the treatment. I shall be smiling sweetly at the bank…

So anyway came home - stopped off for a bite to eat at a local cafe in the next village.

Went into the back to let the cats outside into their run, then out the other way to let the dogs out into the garden, pulling the door into the utility room closed behind me, loud sound of metal hitting the floor and the door wouldn’t close. After much hunting around and the dogs thinking I was playing - well they do get enthusiastic being Boxers, discovered two tiny washers on the floor. Door still wouldn’t close, then discovered a tag from one of my aprons was caught under the door, had to cut it off as it was wedged tight and prise it out. Door still wouldn’t close, so moved the aprons back and felt metal - the metal pin from the top door hinge had come out hence why the door wouldn’t close. Thankfully instead of having two hinges this door has 3

The door not closing makes it very awkward getting the dogs in and out because of the housecats. So had to close the door into the cat’s shed/run to get the dogs in and out the other way. Cats of course knew something was up and were determined to get back into the house

Rang the joiner and he said he couldn’t come to next week or at earliest Sunday even when I appealed to him that I was scared the door would fall onto my elderly mother

My sis in law came up tonight, now she is one of these people who is always right, it makes life simple if you agree with everything she says. During our conversation [mum was nodding off as s.i.l does tend to go on at times] when the phone rang and it was the joiner saying he would call in tomorrow on his way home from work Of course s.i.l wanted to know what was going on. Well, nothing would do her that she would go out and put the pin back in. Tried explaining it was not that easy - I had already tried it thinking it looked easy but she would have nothing of it and got very arrogant over it.

She jumped to her feet and pushed past and started to work at the door and succeeded in jamming the pin, wouldn’t listen when I told her to leave it as the joiner would fix it when he came and demanded a pair of pliers to get it out. I don’t have any - she got lucky and got the pin out. Then I got a lecture about wasting money when there was no call for it i.e. bringing the joiner out. Rather patiently as I was beginning to lose my cool after my trying day at the dentist, I explained I wanted him to look at another door and put some shelving up in the cat run and was going to be phoning him at some stage anyway.

She went home then and her parting shot to me at the front door was I was wasting money ..... She probably wont speak to me now for goodness knows how long + thank heavens I didn’t tell her I was thinking of getting a loan to pay for Implants

Then my sister phoned and on hearing about my teeth she said in a very awed hushed voice - had I ever had a wisdom tooth out and did I know what to expect because....... In the middle of a very nasty horror tale of wisdom teeth I broke into her conversation and said yes I had had one removed about 20 years ago

Am I unique - even if a procedure isn’t pleasant there is no way on this earth I would tell someone the gory details, I would tell them they would be fine and their dentist knew what they were doing and that they may experience slight discomfort when the freezing wore off. I despair I really do.

Tomorrow will be a lovely day too - I have to go for a mammogram

Sorry for the long boring post folks - needed to vent a wee bit, you have probably long ago fallen asleep
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2011, 03:14 AM
(((Hugs))). I think you deserve them after that day.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:49 AM
aaargh. I feel for you. If they`re at the back they won`t show will they?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
aaargh. I feel for you. If they`re at the back they won`t show will they?
No, however if left apparently the gums only harden a certain amount. It puts pressure on your other teeth namely the front teeth as apparently you use them more & they were not meant for the heavy work that back grinders were for & the front teeth start then to buckle & break or in my case crumble.

I'll just have to be a brave person & go & get it done. Its not until August as the only appts they could give me prior that were either 6pm or 6.30pm & i really couldn't face driving 60 plus miles home at night after getting 3 teeth removed.

Also mum has to get cataracts removed next week with 2 weekly reviews & the doc is arranging urgent referral to Dermatologists for her as she has two skin spots on her leg he does not like the look of, (Bowen's disease) he says the
Dermatologists will remove them & send them off for biopsy so i would rather all
that was done before i start any lenghty dental
treatment. Just lately its been one thing after another
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:51 AM
That sounds like a hideous day!!!

I have total sympathy about the dentist, I am also very scared and I think it's unfair of someone to try and give you nasty details when you are scared. They seem to think it's funny just because they're OK with it.

I went yesterday for a check up which was extra thorough because I had 2 infections around a bottom wisdom tooth. The xray showed the tooth being too close to the nerve to safely remove without risk of numbness to my face and tongue which I was strangely happy about! I know have to be really careful to keep it clean, but also found out that I probably have to have both top wisdoms out near Christmas. What fun.

Good look with whatever you decide to get done.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:04 AM
You poor thing!! What a horrible day. Nothing worse than tooth pain. I hope it all goes well at the dentist next week. Big hugs to you ))))))))))) xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:23 AM
A ghastly day - kinda puts mine into perspective.....

I'd have the beggars out and be done with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: your SIL wouldn't last 5 minutes with me - what a PITA!

x0x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:46 PM
If it's any help, I had a wisdom tooth removed many years ago and it was no worse than having a normal tooth out. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Better out than in when they are giving problems.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Hope you've had a better day today xx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry you had such an awful Wednesday and good luck with the teeth whatever you decide. As for sil, it sounds like a blessing if she is not going to speak for a while. You sound a very patient person. Hope Mammogram went ok.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >