View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I have a best friend, laura. Weve only known each other for about 4 years but we have been through so much in that time. We can pick up the phone to each other having not spoken for days and pick up right where we left off.... mind you its a rareity that we dont speak pretty much every day!! If she has a day off she usualy gives it up and comes walkies with me for the day

One of my doggy mums and me are becoming quite close too, her husband works shifts so shes on her own a lot of the evenings and has moved miles away from her family and friends. Plus her cocker spaniel and Roxie are bestest freinds so we often spend hours in the fields with them! I have her dog 4 or 5 times a week usualy when its termtime as shes a teacher so I see her a lot anyway

Im very lucky to have lots of friends round me, wether they are clients or not.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I had a "best" friend that i'd known since we were kids, around 20 odd years i'd known her.

She got together with a man much older than her and they went to Donegal to run a youth hostel. I went over there for a few days together with shed loads of stuff she'd asked me to get from Ikea and take over with me.

When i got there she had not taken any time off from her job so her OH had to "entertain" me the whole time i was there, we went sightseeing etc.

Then she accused me of having an affair with him whilst i was there and it was my last night there the next day and we were all supposed to be going to a ceilidh at the local pub together. Anyway, they wouldn't come because obviously i took umbrage to being accused of having an affair with her OH after knowing her 20 years i hoped she knew me better than that.

I ended up going to the ceilidh with people i'd never met before, she arranged it.

We have not spoken since and that was 11 years ago. I used to think about her all the time and it hurt deeply that she would even think that of me but now i just think its her loss, very sad after knowing someone that long.

I have had lots of so called friends in my life and i'm constantly disappointed by people, they will take take take and its never reciprocated. Either that or they want you when they don't have a man in their lives and then when they meet someone they drop you like a ton of hot bricks. I sound bitter, well i am tbh, i was always taught you reap what you sow but i'm afraid thats not my experience in life.

I have what i call "drinking buddies" now but i never get too involved with people because i find sooner or late it always end up a one way street. The don't expect anything of me nor i of them

I had a hysterectomy recently and when something like that happens you really get to know who your "friends" are
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2011, 09:41 AM
No, I offloaded my best friend years ago because she was sucking the life out of me. I was constantly putting things off or dropping whatever I was doing to bail her out of some drama or other, or spending hours and hours listening to her so called troubles. I have no idea why she became such a drama queen but she changed drastically after she married one of my ex boyfriends, sadly it meant cutting him off too but I've never regretted ditching her.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I've got two best friends, both have stood by me though thick & thin & are actually like chalk & cheese, however they are both "into dogs"like me & that is how we met(one over 30 years ago.)

I also have a good"selection"of good friends, who make my life bearable. The one thing they all have in common is that they are dog folk
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I have a best friend who I have known for over 40 years. She and I always confide in each other and I trust her completely. I have one or two other fairly close friends and many aquaintances, but nobody else like Sue.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:42 AM
I've had a few 'best friends' over the years. They gave me great friendships at the time and for one reason or another we lost touch. That doesn't diminish their value at all in my eyes, they were there for me when I needed them and vice versa. I now have a couple over here, one is a real soul mate and the other a very good close friend. In the past though I have put friends before family but wouldn't do that again. I like having 'girl' friends though, there's nothing like a girly night out sometimes although now most of my aquaintances are having their cocoa and off to bed at 10 o'clock!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I used to have a friend who I knew all the way from infant to the end of secondary school when I gradually came to realise that she was quite nasty when she didn't get her own way.

Then I met my OH and he is my best friend, but I do have another friend who I met when me and OH started seeing each other, 25 years ago, and she was seeing his friend and all through her running away to France, marrying someone else and having his baby, and then coming back and OH's friend taking her back, we remained friends and are still close today.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 01:27 PM
yes, I have a friend I have known since primary who i consider to be my best friend, and we have much in common similarly aged kids etc but weirdly dont see eac other as often as my other really good friend who I see almost every day who I only met a few years ago.

I have another really good friend from one of my previous jobs, and we try to catch up when we can

Its just so busy having the kids and dog and trying to meet up socially too.

I feel lucky to have lots of very good friends who I know I could call in a heartbeat if I needed to. I am not that sort of person though so they tend to lean on me rather than me on them, but I dont mind that tbh as I know I could lean if I needed to !!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Growing up I had several 'best friends' over different times but we've lost touch along the way mostly.

I have two friends who I went to nursery with and we have kept in touch throughout our lives. We don't see each other all that often, one lives in London and one in Kings Lynn. Both their familys still live in the area though, it is really nice when they both come back on the same weekend and we have a fantastic catch up. We may not speak for a few weeks as we are all busy doing different things but we know all of the major events in each other's lives.

I also have another very close friend who I met through work about 17 years ago. She still lives quite locally to me but travels a lot with work so we don't see each other all that much but still have a great friendship.

My 'best friends' were mostly school friends who I saw most days, I had another very close friend who I met at work and we knew virtually everthing about each other, hung out at work, hung out outside work, e-mails, texts, then he started working shifts and I started seeing Dave (who lived on the South coast at the time). Our lives took separate directions and I do really regret that.

The three friends I mentioned above though are so important to me, no matter how infrequently I might see them. I have known two of them for the majority of my life and one of them for half of my life and I really couldn't imagine not having them in my life in some way.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 01:42 PM
My best friend would be my husband and we have been friends for 12 years!

I have a few close friends that i have known for differing amounts of time a couple of who used to be best friends but then because of moving away and changes in life we have drifted apart.

I do miss having a girly best friend but its hard sometimes to find someone with the same interests and views as yourself that lives close by. A couple of my good friends would be best friends if they lived closer but traveling 2 hours to see them can hamper things.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >