View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Sorry I have no advice for you Lynn, but wanted to give you my support as, knowing you, I know that everything you do for you mum is with her best interests at heart.

I hope you can get some information and assistance from the suggestions already given.

(((Hugs))) xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I agree totally with SB---you need a taxi so she can stay in her chair. That is what Rusty's ex owner now does. Maybe look into the costs and present her with them.

Pete uses it to go out to lunch and do hospital visits for his eyes and ears. He was awful and grumpy about it until after he had done it once. Perhaps she would feel the same?

rune
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Hello

I have no advice or suggestions but I do feel for you. The suggetsion of ring and ride is a good one I think.
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Sorry I have no advice for you Lynn, but wanted to give you my support as, knowing you, I know that everything you do for you mum is with her best interests at heart.

I hope you can get some information and assistance from the suggestions already given.

(((Hugs))) xxx
Thank you all I am feeling more positive now that I have done the right thing.

I am going to start some research on the dial a ride as suggested. I will not do anything definite yet with regards to it as I am hoping given her predicament and her age she will be visited at home. If not I have a suggestion to put to her hopefully that may be better than an ambulance.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 12:44 PM
hi lynn

think you are doing the right thing for your mum...maybe you should arrange for her to visit some sheltered housing schemes to see what is on offer....worked a treat with my mum who is now moved in and a lot more settled.

hugs

sue
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Ambulance transport would be able to help out with appointments. They have an ambulance called a "Ramp and Clamp" which allows the person to stay in their wheelchair and the chair is clamped onto the floor. And it's free. Just need to be referred probably by GP.
As for you, I think you're doing the right thing. What would happen if you did your back in? You couldn't do anything then. Good luck hun...you're not being selfish at all. xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
hi lynn

think you are doing the right thing for your mum...maybe you should arrange for her to visit some sheltered housing schemes to see what is on offer....worked a treat with my mum who is now moved in and a lot more settled.

hugs

sue
Thanks Sue.

You haven't met my mum.

My brother decided to step in and take over after Gorden had to have a few words with him at christmas with regard to the way he spoke to me regards all this. Neddless to say he didn't take her which suited her and him just fine both my brothers feel she should be left there.

Thats ok but it has been made clear to them when she becomes incapable or takes another fall my sister and I are not going to be the ones jumping up and spending all day and night at the hospital like we usually do as we think she needs the care.

Thats why Gill and I are always in her bad books we tell her the truth they tell her what she wants to hear.

Glad to hear your mum accepted it so easily.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Can totally understand where you are coming from Lynn. I looked after my Mum who could only walk a few steps with help and it can be really scary{{{hugs}}}

Please take care of you as it won't help anyone if you are ill or hurt yourself

Sounds like your brother has the power of attorney that SB mentioned.

A wheelchair accessible taxi sounds the way to go or ambulance transport for hospital visits.

I am an only child so although it all fell to me at least I could make the decisions
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Ambulance transport would be able to help out with appointments. They have an ambulance called a "Ramp and Clamp" which allows the person to stay in their wheelchair and the chair is clamped onto the floor. And it's free. Just need to be referred probably by GP.
As for you, I think you're doing the right thing. What would happen if you did your back in? You couldn't do anything then. Good luck hun...you're not being selfish at all. xx
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Can totally understand where you are coming from Lynn. I looked after my Mum who could only walk a few steps with help and it can be really scary{{{hugs}}}

Please take care of you as it won't help anyone if you are ill or hurt yourself

Sounds like your brother has the power of attorney that SB mentioned.

A wheelchair accessible taxi sounds the way to go or ambulance transport for hospital visits.

I am an only child so although it all fell to me at least I could make the decisions
Thanks both.

I did my back in a few years ago and it does twinge now and then so I really don't want to be rendered incapable she doesn't weigh much but its the positions you have to get into to get her in the car that worries me mostly for her.

c14u never sure in these instances if it easier being an only child and there is only you to make the decisions or having two brothers that are totally selfish and uselss and a sister thank goodness that I can rant too and does as much as she can not a lot but every little helps as theys say.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Lynn you are right not to transport her anymore yourself as you don't know the right way to maneuver her and even if you did in many situations its very difficult with some peoples conditions to still be able to do this successfully.
There is hospital transport that can collect her and take her home again, however sometimes she may be hanging around the hospital for ages before or after her appointments as they collect several at a time and then deliver them all home again.
Most places have schemes available that you pay so much per year (Usually around £20 and then if you need transport anywwhere, whether it be hospital or to come and visit you your mum books it about 3 days in advance for a certain time and it comes and collects her and takes her to where she is going and delivers her back at the also booked time. She then literally just pays the cost of the petrol each trip nothing on top as its non profit making scheme to allow elderly or disabled people who would otherwise be stuck at home to go places. With this it would only be her travelling they wouldn't be picking up others so it will be at the times she books.
How often does her carer go into her and what does she do?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Bev. I will look into that transprt thst she can pay for I think I am going to have to make some calls to her local council to see if anything can be set up if I need to.

She has a carer in twice a week for a shower and on Friday to take her into the town to get a few small bits of shopping.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:05 PM
My back gave out on me and mum had to go into respite Lynn so please take care
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >