Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 12:16 PM

RSPCA cut backs on taking strays

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7102322.ece
An interesting number of comments to this article.
Is it time for the RSPCA to stop playing politics?
budskipup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I think the RSPCA is now a business not a charity , they say the recession has affected donations , but in reality it's bad publicity like sueing people for more money from people wills etc ,in one comment someone said you might aswell give a donation to a private small local rehoming centre I would agree with this as there's to many big salarys to pay at the RSPCA
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I think if they do that it will see an increase on dumped animals, straying animals and on cruelty and surely they see that for themselves too.

Some years back when I worked for them they closed the kennels for a while to people just bringing in unwanted pets, and only took cruelty animals, it didn't work then and it won't now. Infact the police stations had kennels for strays (more than they do now) and more were being taken into them as ''''found''''

I sometimes wonder whether it is time for the Govenment to take over with the RSPCA I know they do thier own fund raising but they always use this to dictate who, what and which they will take and during the years I worked for them the funds were not always used to the best.....if you get my meaning
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 01:18 PM
cost cuts?? what bloody cost cuts
£119 million in the bank. beggars belief
cant stand the organisation.
susieq
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post

I'm with you!!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
EXACTLY!
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-04-2010, 08:47 PM
They have become an animal advocacy which is no bad thing, someone has to fight for animals in terms of politics and legistlation, Bluecross, NCDL (Dogs Trust), Cats Protection League they do the hands on work in terms of animals in care, RSPCA fight in courts and in parliament which can be of great benefit.
I do not give money to the RSPCA though as they have way too much stashed away.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
They have become an animal advocacy which is no bad thing, someone has to fight for animals in terms of politics and legistlation, Bluecross, NCDL (Dogs Trust), Cats Protection League they do the hands on work in terms of animals in care, RSPCA fight in courts and in parliament which can be of great benefit.
I do not give money to the RSPCA though as they have way too much stashed away.
DT, Blue Cross, etc. are also politically active.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-04-2010, 09:03 PM
yes they are but the RSPCA i would imagine have more access to the lawmakers but i could be wrong.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I have little time for the RSPCA They are quick enough to make Animal Hospital programmes which show them in a good light, and make 'emergency' appea;;s on the tv, but the reality is that their performance is sketchy at best.

A few years ago a neighbour of my Mum's died, leaving a border collie, which was taken into care by the RSPCA, at the owners request. He had also made arrangements for them to be gives some cash for the dog's upkeep until a new home was found.

The day after the man had died, I found out about it, and decided that I would take the dog - I knew it quite well and thought it would settle nicely with me.

I rang the RSPCA, told them why I was ringing and asking when I could come in and sort out adopting the dog. I was appalled to be told that the dog had been put down - less than 24 hours after they had taken it.

The reason I got for their actions was that they didnt think there was a hope of rehoming a dog of that age (6yrs). As for the money - they said they didnt know anything about it.

I wouldn't take anything to the RSPCA, or give them any cash - they don't understand the concept of animal protection or care anymore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >