Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 11:16 PM

A Different kind of New Year !

This New Year I will be in Spain , I am working at a Galgo rescue , you may ask , why Spain and why galgos, well as many of you know I am a hound lover, and yes there is much to done in the UK for rescue hounds , but we have laws and legislation to support our hounds in the main and I know its not ideal but we do not have hounds who are hanged from trees at the end of every hunting season or have their feet tied together and acid poured over them to make sure they cant walk to find some help or have petrol poured over them and set alight , I am sorry if I have been dramatic and upset people with this information but I wanted you to understand why I am giving up my new year at home and spending it with the galgos in Spain. I have been involved in raising funds for these hounds this year and I am really looking forward to seeing all the hounds at the rescue and who knows maybe I will manage to arrange to bring one home , if you want further info let me know and I will be keeping a video diary of my visit which I will share on Dogsey if you think that would be something you would like me to share
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Maureen...I'm so envious of you!! What a wonderful way to spend new year! Is it at Galgos Del Sol? We support them through Holly's Haven! A fantastic thing to do.
I know how dreadful life is for galgos in Spain. My dream is to adopt a couple in the future. We have a GDS stand selling their merchandise in the shop.
Can I come with you Maureen?!!!!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Good on you, It sounds as though it could be a very valuable and eye opening experience.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=zoe1969;2411913]Maureen...I'm so envious of you!! What a wonderful way to spend new year! Is it at Galgos Del Sol? We support them through Holly's Haven! A fantastic thing to do.
I know how dreadful life is for galgos in Spain. My dream is to adopt a couple in the future. We have a GDS stand selling their merchandise in the shop.
Can I come with you

Zoe you are very welcome to come , its Scooby but I do support Galgos Del Sol too , they are all hounds ! they are supported through greyhound compassion in the UK and I will surely be having to not put a few in my luggage on the way home , cant wait and it will be a fab new year ! only thing is leaving mine at home but their daddy will look after them !
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Good on you, It sounds as though it could be a very valuable and eye opening experience.

yes i am sure it will be and for a hound lover a great experience , I am sure I will cry but also will have a great time looking after some hounds that need some loving
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Good for you and brave, I am sure that some of the things you are going to come across are going to be horrific try to be brave and remember you cant bring them all home.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Maureen, it's a great thing you are doing and I admire you for it. I hope you are able to bring some comfort to those poor dogs who are lucky enough to find the rescue centre where you will be.

Yes, if you post a diary on here I will read it for sure, but please try not to be too graphic in your stories, when I read stuff like you put in the OP then my mind goes mental, I start thinking 20% unemployment in Spain.....who cares, maybe some of them are the perpetrators of these horrific crimes against mans best friend, let them (the humans) suffer a bit. Not logical I know but that's how my mind works when I read such things.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2011, 04:17 PM
What an excellent and worthwhile way of starting the New Year! I have great respect for you Maureen for doing something so positive and it takes somebody brave IMO to witness the suffering these dogs endure.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I take my hat off to you!!!

The way they treat these dogs is appalling and one of the big reasons I will not go to Spain.

I am sure it will be more than a little heartbreaking...but also a lot of fun!!

xx
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey guys , I am not brave ! I just want to do something worthwhile at new year rather than party which I have done on more than one occasion! and I am sure I will do at midnight in spain too, I will keep a diary but will only share appropriate lovely hound pics but will be honest too about how it is to be a galgo in Spain , only thing for me is leaving my hounds in the capable hands of my family who I am sure will take great care of them ! ;-0)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >